Kick Panel Fit

Bwana

Reaction score
I've been working on my brakes and in the process have removed the lower dashboard below the steering column. When I started to put it back, it didn't seem to fit right. I guess I hadn't noticed it before I took it off. The part under the steering column if snug and fits well but the wings are way short.

Is this typical or has it shrunk somehow? Does your's look like this? Short of a new one, is there a way to make a replacement? What do the professional restorers do if this piece is toast?

P1100504_zpsa596ea0f.jpg

First check that you still have the L brackets on the panel that hold the sides and bottom, trim screws then hold the panel into the tunnel and firewall but the brackets and screws are often missing.

Slightly undo the lower steering column piece and tuck the panel into it and then tighten up the 4 screws, this is a major part in holding it up, ihe panel should fit flush into the column piece.

Also a lot of manipulating and foul language helps.

Heat?

Having owned my car for less than a month I'm no expert but I happened to be fiddling with this same lower dash trim on my car today and learned something interesting. Did everyone else know that heat makes the padding stick to the metal?

My trim is in terrible shape (anyone have a better one they'd like to sell?) so I saw no harm in a couple little modifications. I decided to weld some tabs to the top upper corners to help keep the trim from sagging. To do so, I used a razor blade to scrape off a bit of the felt on the back of the metal plate corners and clamped a tab in place using vice grips and a piece of wood. Unfortunately, I didn't take a picture of how the padding was peeling from the metal in those corners but given the state of the entire piece I'm sure you can imagine how the two were separated. I then used my MIG to add a few spot welds on the tabs. To my surprise, the padding was now really well attached to the metal plate! I know this foam is notoriously hard to glue down so I thought it was a discovery worth sharing.

lowerdash_2.jpg

A sad state of affairs. If someone has a nice one they'd like to sell please PM me.

lowerdash_11.jpg

lowerdash_9.jpg

By the way, the tabs work perfectly.

lowerdash_12.jpg

lowerdash_6.jpg

Look ma, no sag! (and no glue)

lowerdash_7.jpg

One question: what's up with this folded over bracket? Is this supposed to be an L that screws into the side of the console? I'm not sure how you'd be able to reach it.

lowerdash_1.jpg

Nice pics. The folded tab should be a right angle and attaches forward of the squirrel cage grille. There is a similar one that attaches to the firewall on the bottom of the piece. These pieces warp badly and the padding then comes off and resist re-gluing like you say.

hi, tags are and can be riveted to the base metal plate
you just have to be careful nit to drill the foam below
i think that welding might be too aggresive
IMHO, the tag you placed will extert force aginst a dull piece of foam, so it is not a good idea
i would re-shape the base metal plate a bit, just to accomodate it again in its place

@bwana, your problem seems to come from the lower fixing point, your piece seems to be not horizontal, i would check that first, there is a tab down there that should be fixed to the central console wood

Having owned my car for less than a month I'm no expert but I happened to be fiddling with this same lower dash trim on my car today and learned something interesting. Did everyone else know that heat makes the padding stick to the metal?

My trim is in terrible shape (anyone have a better one they'd like to sell?) so I saw no harm in a couple little modifications. I decided to weld some tabs to the top upper corners to help keep the trim from sagging. To do so, I used a razor blade to scrape off a bit of the felt on the back of the metal plate corners and clamped a tab in place using vice grips and a piece of wood. Unfortunately, I didn't take a picture of how the padding was peeling from the metal in those corners but given the state of the entire piece I'm sure you can imagine how the two were separated. I then used my MIG to add a few spot welds on the tabs. To my surprise, the padding was now really well attached to the metal plate! I know this foam is notoriously hard to glue down so I thought it was a discovery worth sharing.

lowerdash_2.jpg

A sad state of affairs. If someone has a nice one they'd like to sell please PM me.

lowerdash_11.jpg

lowerdash_9.jpg

By the way, the tabs work perfectly.

lowerdash_12.jpg

lowerdash_6.jpg

Look ma, no sag! (and no glue)

lowerdash_7.jpg

One question: what's up with this folded over bracket? Is this supposed to be an L that screws into the side of the console? I'm not sure how you'd be able to reach it.

lowerdash_1.jpg

Hi Jefflit: I have one that is in better shape than yours. Will send a picture or two.

You should post your location.

tempImagelHyLW5.jpg

I have a questions with mine one. How to attach the point marked with green arrow (wasn't fixed when i removed the panel)? What is the point marked with red arrow for?

Back