kidney grill dents

readie

Reaction score
Anyone know how to get the black centre out?
Have big dents in the chrome, looks like someone drove into it, so need to get the dent out.
Anyone with experience of 'tapping out' dents ?
Any advice?
Thanks
Si

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The slats come out individually, not hard, they slide out after tabs are bent or something like that, I did it a few years ago to paint them plack.

There is an old thread about dent tapping here somewhere.

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
On my '74, the grilles have 4 'pegs' that go through holes in the fender. The 'pegs' are 4mm in diameter, and held in place with the flat metal quick fasteners. Flat metal pieces can be removed (squeeze the two ends with a pair of pliers to open the spring fasteners, then the grilles pulled off from the outside.

Wouldn't be surprising to find some of the 'pegs' broken off. I even had one side that was held on by adhesive on the back side of the grille vanes. Used some 3M adhesive solvent to get them off cleanly.

Last edited:

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
My '72 grill has 4 8mm nuts holding it on vs the speed nut so maybe they changed it with the 4 slat ones

On my '74, the grilles have 4 'pegs' that go through holes in the fender. The 'pegs' are 4mm in diameter, and held in place with the flat metal quick fasteners. Flat metal pieces can be removed (squeeze the two ends with a pair of pliers to open the spring fasteners, then the grilles pulled off from the outside.

Wouldn't be surprising to find some of the 'pegs' broken off. I even had one side that was held on by adhesive on the back side of the grille vanes.