KWE restoration & upgrade of rare RHD E9

pestosmum

Reaction score
Hi there

Just over a year ago we were commissioned to find an E9 3.0 CSi for a client and to 'do what we do to our Jaguars to produce a car that can be driven everyday in comfort'. After a long search we found a suitable donor car in London - as there were only 250 RHD cars produced we knew it was not going to be easy, but this example looked good & had already had a fair amount of money spent on it.....

Attachments

• bmwsideview.jpg
    bmwsideview.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 213
  • rearbefore.jpg
    rearbefore.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 194
  • interior-before.jpg
    interior-before.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 196

pestosmum

Reaction score
We set to work stripping it out completely ready for shotblasting and repainting but could never have guessed the amount of rust and filler that was revealed (and we thought we'd seen it all in the classic Jaguar business)....

It doesn't show up very well in the fourth picture, but the white bit is filler which was a 1/2" deep in places!!

Attachments

• rearwindowout.jpg
    rearwindowout.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 192
  • bmwrust1.jpg
    bmwrust1.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 204
  • bmwrust2.jpg
    bmwrust2.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 199
  • bmwfiller.jpg
    bmwfiller.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 206
  • bodyshotblasted.jpg
    bodyshotblasted.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 213

pestosmum

Reaction score
After shotblasting the shell went off to the bodyshop for repairs & painting. It needed many new panels including all the floor pans, the spare wheel well, door skins, bulkhead boxes & wheel arches. It also underwent some alteration in the bulkhead to enable a more modern air conditioning unit to be installed (purists look away now)....

Attachments

• bmwweld.jpg
    bmwweld.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 207
  • newfloorpan.jpg
    newfloorpan.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 196
  • Interiorrenewedbare.jpg
    Interiorrenewedbare.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 182
  • Interiorrenewedrear.jpg
    Interiorrenewedrear.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 191
  • whlarchprimed.jpg
    whlarchprimed.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 180

pestosmum

Reaction score
After many months we have the shell back from the bodyshop and have started the rebuild process. The customer wanted an automatic gearbox instead of the manual and we are fitting a digital engine management system so some modifications to the engine have been required. We have also fitted a new electric fan cooling system, so as you can see this is no simple restoration programme!

Attachments

• ebayrebuild.jpg
    ebayrebuild.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 229
  • fanconversion.jpg
    fanconversion.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 235
  • engpartrebuilt.jpg
    engpartrebuilt.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 223
  • engpartrebuilt2.jpg
    engpartrebuilt2.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 222
  • suspbitspowdercoatedjpg.jpg
    suspbitspowdercoatedjpg.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 210

pestosmum

Reaction score
There is still a long way to go before the car is completed. The interior will be renewed in an oxblood leather and the new seats will have electric adjustment, heating and lumbar support. The dash will need to accommodate modern audio equipment as well as the uprated a/c system.

It may seem to some that what we are doing is sacrilege and it should've been restored to as original condition as possible, but this car is being renewed to be driven every day rather than just to/from shows and I'm sure she will be admired everywhere she goes :)

x_atlas0

Reaction score
I really like what you all do with the Jags. While I do think originality is important, I generally think it is important in cars that have not already been modified. Mine, for example, came with a blown engine, a trunk AC unit, and a sloppy resto done by a BMW dealer in the 80s, so the originality was already shot.

Since you all already started with what appeared to be a modified example, I'm all for making the car a driver. I'd much rather see them on the road than in a museum. I am rather curious what EFI system you are planing on using and what automatic gearbox. I would guess you'll be going with a mechanical 4HP22 for the auto, given that is the easiest automatic swap by far.

tmason

Reaction score
Pride of Ownership

A 2011 CS! The cost to do this in USD? My guess is $80,000. What's yours?
Please keep the pictures coming!
PS I would go with a manual 6 speed.