Laguna Seca in the rain

LarE9

Site Donor
Reaction score
Rainy day at Laguna yesterday (it never rains down there in September!). First track time with the new engine and other suspension parts, etc. It was fast and had no issues, and handled surprisingly well on the wet track, but driving in the light rain was a challenge due to my windshield wipers winning a trophy for slowest mechanical device on the planet. Had two dry runs at the end of the day, and with my new RE-71RS tires, it had great grip. It smoothly cruised the 3.5 hour drive home to Sacramento too. Overall, a success, and also learned a little more about what improvements need to be made next.
100503739-GGBM9219.JPG

My wipers are super slow too...how does that get fixed? I knew the sunroof and window regulators were slow but don't remember anything on the wipers? The E3 always seemed to work "normal." My windows and sunroof on the E3 were crank...I liked that much better.

I am going to connect a power source directly to the motor to see if it is actually the motor being slow or excessive resistance in the circuit causing low current, etc.. If it is in the circuit, could need the ground connections cleaned and perhaps increasing the wire gauge to allow a higher current (like with the windows). I have not dealt with slow electric motor issues in these cars, so I am sure someone who actually knows can chime in. :)

My wipers are super slow too...how does that get fixed? I knew the sunroof and window regulators were slow but don't remember anything on the wipers? The E3 always seemed to work "normal." My windows and sunroof on the E3 were crank...I liked that much better.
Rainy day at Laguna yesterday (it never rains down there in September!). First track time with the new engine and other suspension parts, etc. It was fast and had no issues, and handled surprisingly well on the wet track, but driving in the light rain was a challenge due to my windshield wipers winning a trophy for slowest mechanical device on the planet. Had two dry runs at the end of the day, and with my new RE-71RS tires, it had great grip. It smoothly cruised the 3.5 hour drive home to Sacramento too. Overall, a success, and also learned a little more about what improvements need to be made next.
View attachment 189794

Cool to have rain at laguna SECA

wipers slow ? Clean and regrease all, check the electric regulator at the gearshift console

I upgraded to an early 6 series motor - faster with more torque. Almost plug and play.

Hey Steve, thanks for that advice (and deQuincey too). When you say, "almost" plug and play. What was the mod you had to do? Something in the wiring?
Yes just a simple rewiring to get the wiring harness plug to work on it. I also cleaned/regreased the innards of the one I got. I believe it's early 6 series and E-12 that fits. I may have some pics if you need.

Back