Late CSL Bat series II sold back to Germany

GroupeB

Reaction score
Series II BAT

Don't think so, I believe it is sitting in my garage. I believe this image was taken at the same time a British magazine did an article on the car. Only able to confirm with more info, which I cannot extract from this link. Anyone have the magazine shown?

CSL 1973

Reaction score
Taiga Bat ser II

Many thx for the info GroupeB and congrats to be the owner of this very nice and late Bat.

Indeed, I have the Magazine (November issue 2012). The Taiga Bat is featured in the Magazine with a citypack (LHD) CSL in Chamonix. Both CSLs have correct German reg plates (including tax/TUV stickers).

The Taiga is registered with "M JJ3003H" and the Chamonix one with "M JD7703H". Most likely the photos were taken meanwhile the car was still registered in Germany.

Cheers

Henric

GroupeB

Reaction score
Bat II in Germany?

Henric:

This could be another car. Without more info (the magazine is not available in the USA and I cannot access the magazine online) we may never know. There were 4 of the Series II's made in this color, and the one I have was owned by the President of the German BMW club, he is the one who restored it. I suspect that the plates were stuck onto the cars for the photoshoot, as I think the same two cars were used in an article for the English magazine Throughbred and Classic Cars back in the spring of 2012. The car has not had German registration since 2009; I bought it from a guy in England.
There are a couple of 'distinguishing marks' on 049, mainly the missing center pillar of the rear wing and scuff marks on the front tire sidewalls (the 16 inch Alpinas were staggered but the tire sizes were the same, so the sidewalls were cut by the front fender trims). Additionally, there are French CSL club stickers in the lower area of the rear side windows, which should be visible in the magazine photos. Also, there is slight misalignment of the drivers door at the lower rear edge (it stands proud of the rear fender about 4-5mm).
If the stickers are in the rear window and the door is as described, my guess the photos are photoshopped to have German plates or the German plates were stuck on top of the British ones for the photos.

Please take a look for the stickers and the door misalignment so that we can get closer to an answer.

Regards, GroupeB

CSL 1973

Reaction score
Thx for the info.

Indeed, the were four cars in Taiga built in the last batch of CSLs. All four are alive today. One of them lives in Germany, one in the Netherlands and two in the US. The Taiga CSL in the Magazine is VIN 049 (confirmed). I know the details of the 049 car pretty well and have also some interesting pre-renovation pics of this car.

It could be the case that the reg plates were just temporarely on these cars for the photo-session (I will check this). BTW, the photograper's name sound British.

Cheers

Henric

GroupeB

Reaction score
Bat II Mystery solved

Henric:

The telltale for me were the 16 inch Alpinas and the blocky (very wrong) sidewalls. No self respecting BAT owner would put the staggered wheels on and then not stagger the tires. I went back to 14's with no holes and round sidewall Vredresteins (which BTW are available from Coker here in the USA).

Thanks for the doing the research.

GroupeB

CSL 1973

Reaction score
I think you did perfectly correct with the wheels.

The following details are, in my opinion, related to 049:

- Black plastic cover for the front wing antenna-hole
- Rear Alu-emblem instead of the sticker
- Black mid-section of rear bumper
- Flat-ish leather gear box knob
- Late model 4-bar kidney
- Third (center) support is missing on the rear wing
- The right cut-out for the relais (close to the battery ) is empty
- The "Original BMW Teile" sticker on the luft filter box
- Left power mirror

When reading the text, it says actually nr 49 out of 57 built. Did I say it's a very nice car in a very attractive colour.

Cheers

Henric

Last edited:

merlin32

Reaction score
Wow Henric..
Did you have for all late Bat´s this detail Infos or took you the special details from photo´s ?
Cheers Markus

CSL 1973

Reaction score
Guten tag Markus,

When identifying CSL cars, it's always a good start to compare the deviations, from when the cars left the factory, and todays state of the car. Also, to compare "before and after renovation" photos.

In this case, the black mid-section of the rear bumber was immediately recognized (original from factory = chrome).

First of all, not many 4355- bats are in Taiga (4x). Secondly, only one had black mid-section of the rear bumper also before the latest renovation - et voila - case solved.

The magic world of the CSLs always involves some "investigation-work" and references such as original BMW documentation, Presse Mappen, Werks Fotos, Internal BMW/Motorsport documents etc from the 70s.

It's a fascinating "work", but not always logic and straight-forward (happy 70s!).

What I have learnt during the years, is that there are a lot of deviations from the "official" CSL deliveries in terms of equipment, options and "special orders" etc.

How's the progress with your CSL-cars?

Gruss

Henric

merlin32

Reaction score
Very interesting Henric.. great job :) My Golf CSL is on the finnish line :) and the inca would be the next project.
gruss Markus