Lateral Window Trim Line Seal - Is Adhesive Necessary?

TG-2002-320i-328ci

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I spent a good part of the weekend re-installing the lateral windows on my E9 after converting the motors over to the E28 versions.

Since the windows & cassettes were out of the car, I decided to clean up the Trim Line chrome (A51377740138/9). Of course, the rubber seals were nearly 50 years old, so they disintegrated upon removal.

I ordered both right and left seals (A51367740105/6) from Wallothnesch anticipating their renewal a while back.

Now - here comes the fun - putting it all back together again. When I re-installed the trim, getting those seals to seat is a bit of an effort. During my first couple of up and down test runs on the pax side, the seal came loose and tore itself along the retainer lip (not the official name, of course). Now I have to figure out how to spend more money at Wallothnesch to justify the flat €49 shipping fee... which never seems to be difficult.

Has anyone else refreshed their Trim Line seals? Am I missing something - like a glue or gasket sealant to hold the rubber seals in place? When I removed the old ones, there was residue that I had to use Goof Off to remove - but I wasn't able to determine if this was just old rubber or broken down adhesive.

Any help or suggestions are always appreciated.

Attachments

• Trim Line.png
    Trim Line.png
    144 KB · Views: 86

Thomas76

Site Donor $
Reaction score
The rear glass fitment to me was one of the most complex projects. There are so many things that can be adjusted, and so many things to interfere with that rubber.

Take the time to form the metal frame to match the curvature of the glass if it isn't already. I did this by setting it on the glass without rubber.
I bent the frame slot to be fairly tight on the rubber and did not use glue. It is holding up well.

I always raise the rear first, and lower the front first. Doing the opposite seemed like carnage.

Sorry I don't have pics on my phone but did trim the rubber where it looked like it could catch somewhere.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The glue or no glue argument used to be a very controversial topic that people debated heatedly. Then came mRNA and controversy moved to Off-Topic. Whatever you do Wurth adhesive is good but it does not cure Covid.

TG-2002-320i-328ci

Site Donor $
Reaction score
The rear glass fitment to me was one of the most complex projects. There are so many things that can be adjusted, and so many things to interfere with that rubber.

Take the time to form the metal frame to match the curvature of the glass if it isn't already. I did this by setting it on the glass without rubber.
I bent the frame slot to be fairly tight on the rubber and did not use glue. It is holding up well.

I always raise the rear first, and lower the front first. Doing the opposite seemed like carnage.

Sorry I don't have pics on my phone but did trim the rubber where it looked like it could catch somewhere.
Thanks, Thomas. The driver's side seems to be okay - I did use just a slight amount of Locktite Gel Super Glue in the "retainer lip" channel to hold it. My pax Trim Line metal seems to be in the correct shape, but after my fiddling it's not in the best shape. I may have to replace it - and they are just a mere €100 each. Yikes.

Arde - I've got HCQ/Ivermectin/Zinc on standby. I've not had so much as a cold since this global hysteria has started.