leather seat re-upholstering

steve in reno

Reaction score
I am going to have all of my leather done, professionally installed, and would ask the groups indulgence.
World uph, and Gahh offer sets for our cars. What are others experience with these vendors? Or would it be better to go with a local person, with references.
Gahh is more expensive than World. I have no idea on local cost.
A winter project.

thanks
steve in reno

Someone had Seats Done in CA

Someone down in So Cal (Mike Pelly?) had seats done locally with good results. Al Larson up in Vancouver can reupholster seats as well.

Leather

I obtained swatches from both companies but purchased a set for the Recaro-style seats for my Euro E24 from GAHH simply because my upholsteror was more accustomed to their products. Workmanship and fabrication of the covers is very good but the quality (or grade) of the leather, IMO, cannot compare to factory original.

This car originally had buffalo hides and in retrospect I should have purchased their repair kit and attempted a fix of the cracks and "cardboarding" associated with the aging and drying-out process before resorting to a complete replacement. (If you have rips, gouges, or tearing in your upholstery, that's a completely different problem.)

Actually, I should have bit the bullet and paid the $500 per-front-seat-replacement-cover for OEM, buffalo leather BMW Niederlassung Muenchen had in stock ca. '95. It seemed exhorbitant at the time. If I knew then what I know now.

I have since learned how to properly care for leather and condition mine with Leatherique about twice a year, and avoid parking in the sun for extended periods.

Having the leather reupholstered was one of the trickiest and hardest decisions that I made during my restoration.

After talking to many owners for 2-3 years before I made the final decision about my interior I found there were 2 distinct global approaches to the interior. These were (1) having the interior "cut and stiched" from raw hides and (2) having the upholstery shop order "covers" and do the seat build out and installation only.

After talking to many owners it seemed that the owners who took route #1, although happy with the finished product, had many more snags along the way. Most noted that they felt that their interiors were "shelved" and that the shops focused more on the high turn over/daily items and that longer term projects, like a full "cut and stitch", were more filler projects during the slower times. Most took anywhere from 6-12 months and that most owners had to yell "uncle" to finally get there interior done. In fact I know one guy that had to actually carry his seats out of the shop by force after 9 months and pursue at another shop.

After talking to 4 different shops, researching route #2, 3 out of 4 said that GAHH “covers” were a higher quality product (also more expensive). They noted that the leather was higher quality, the stitching and fit was better, and if there was any problems GAHH made good immediately. I then researched the shops and found there were 2 distinct groups: (1) SHOPS THAT HAD ACTUALLY DONE A COUPE INTERIOR and (2) one’s that said that it was “no big deal” and that they could do it even though they had no experience (bit of a red flag).

This is how I made my final decision of (1) USING A SHOP THAT HAD DONE A COUPE INTERIOR BEFORE and (2) using GAHH covers. The fit, finish, and finish time all came in as expected. As far as I’m concerned this part of the project kept me up at night’s the most.

Good luck,

Shawn

Does anyone have any ball park price range estimates? I've been looking into this a bit and I found one local (Maryland) guy who says he's done quite a few coupes and he can get original materials including the horse hair padding (this makes wonder). In general, his work samples are outstanding but his initial quote was $4,500 for front and rear (yikes!).

re: releather seat reupholstering

thanks to all with in put.
cost for gahh materials is >$3k, but if the finish and quality is as stated, worth the extra. Install is what it is for good craftmanship, $1500/2000.
Have wanted to this for 24 years, and can finally afford it.
Now to order samples.
Do it right, do it once.
thanks again
steve

After talking with 4 different shops they all quoted about the same price for GAHH covers.

Material alone was in the range of $3,300-$3,500 and all wanted about $1,200-$1,500 for install. I went with the most highly recommended shop (that had done over 10 coupes AND I personnally inspected 2 that were done within the past year) but they were the most expensive as well (this is always the case). I paid $5,800, which was about $800-$1000 more than anyone else but the quality of install was superb, I never worried ONCE that the job would not be excellent, and EVERY time I open the door and see those beautiful seats it makes it worth every penny. I have spent WAY more than $5,800 on other items that have not given me the pleasure that the new leather interior gives (over and over).

Good Luck,

Shawn

IMG_0111.gif

IMG_0110.gif

Sure is pretty Shawn , should have got a trophy for the interior alone!
Sorry buddy didn't mean to rekindle that fire

Take care
PJ

I just had mine done at Jim's in San Diego. They have done many, many coupes. Front E24 recaros and stock rears in leather for $1,400 and done in three days. Pretty much all BMW leather colors are available. They were able to reuse my pads, so factor that in if you need new pads. BTW, they look outstanding.

Post a few pics. Maybe Jim's is the spot...Your interior cost about $4K less than mine. I think that is the Jim's that Carl suggests as well and apparently they do a ton of coupes and BMW's in general.

Maybe Jim's is the spot...

They are well known locally among the hot rod and restoration crowd. Excellent work, quick turnaround and awesome price.

I think that is the Jim's that Carl suggests as well and apparently they do a ton of coupes and BMW's in general.

Yep. Same place. They didn't hesitate at the site of a coupe.

I only had my seats done since everything else is still in excellent shape. The color match is pretty much perfect, although the sheen on the leather is noticeably less than the sheen on the stock vinyl door panels. This isn't something I'm critical of -- its just a fact when mixing material types. I'll try to get a picture or two up this evening, but I still don't have the whole interior back together.

BTW, the quote on matching vinyl was only $750 if you wanted to go that route. Plus, they had stippled vinyl which would match the pattern on the door panels. I seriously thought about stippled vinyl seating surfaces with the rest of the seat in smooth vinyl, but opted for leather instead. Now if only someone could find a source for stippled leather in BMW colors. . . .

I couldn't get the door open all the way, but this will give you a pretty good idea of the quality of the work:

DSC04375.jpg

DSC04379.jpg

The contact info is:

Jim's Upholstery
7902 Armour St
San Diego, CA 92111
(858) 268-8531

$5,800!?

I think I'm going to go downstairs and condition the shit out of my seats... because I am already driving myself into poverty over trans. stuff.

If I did this right you will see the seats that were re-upholstered by the Coupe King's leather shop guys. Real craftsmen.
details.php

details.php

Back