Light bulbs for the instruments

P

poadb

Is it possible to replace all light bulbs for the instruments without removing the instrument panel?

From looking at the repair manual, I have an understanding how to remove the instrument panel. However, I wonder is it a tricky operation or a rather quick fix - anything I should be awere of before I start?

Regards, Per

In a RHD version you can sort of do it, but you have to remove the lower dashboard panel and grope around.
If you are going to remove the instrument panel the thing to watch for is the speedometer cable, both disconnecting and re-connecting and you might have to remove the steering wheel.
Oh, and disconnect the battery before you start!
Malc

I would go ahead and pull the center console. Either way, as Malc says, you'll need to pull most of the lower dash panels and getting the entire console out is not much more work and certainly less likely to resulting in damaging some other things. You will need to drop the steering column (remove the 4 screws holding the lower plate and the remove the 4 bolts) this will let the steering assembly drop down just enough to get the console out. Again, to repeat Malc, carefully pop off the speedo cable. The rest of the wires are in a single harness with a single plug and plenty of slack.

A note about the bulbs... you will need to find narrow profile bulbs. The common round head bulbs won't fit into the receptacles.

As I was doing this I found that the wattage of some of the bulbs need to be higher than others for uniform brightness. I can't recall now what wattages I used where through. I used a small bench power supply to test everything.

Removal of speedo link

http://www.cscoupe.org/tech/message007.html

The instruments can be removed one at a time without removing
the instrument panel or the console. Just remove the lower panel, reach from below and loosen the two nuts holding each instrument, slightly
rotate the instrument and push it back to be able to access its rear side.

For the clock you can certainly replace the bulb without even disconnecting
it. Just pull/slide the light socket from the clock.
Maybe this can be done with every instrument so you never have to
pull the instrument out, just work with it hanging inside the cluster. For
the speedo the speedometer cable may be rigid and have to be unplugged.

I upgraded to 4W bulbs (Sylvania 3893 T4W for example) and makes
a nice difference.

Back