Limited slip differential

de coupe

Reaction score
One quick question, I have looking for a limited slip differential "sideloader"

I believe that I have found one, but I did ask the person selling it when he turns the wheels if both wheels turn in the same direction. As he is in another state I do know that if they turn in opposite directions it is an open diff and is the same as I do have now. So he stated that when he turns one wheel the other is stationary and he also said that the case is stamped 3 11. I dont think they made side loaders in 3 11 ie e24, e12, e9. The question is this, Under a load is this when the limited lock up operates. 75% or whatever.

Also is this why only one wheel turns, does it take a heavyload to get it to lock up. He has said that it is coming off a e24 1979 the 3 11 doesnt make sense..

de coupe

Reaction score
One quick question, I have looking for a limited slip differential "sideloader"

I believe that I have found one, but I did ask the person selling it when he turns the wheels if both wheels turn in the same direction. As he is in another state I do know that if they turn in opposite directions it is an open diff and is the same as I do have now. So he stated that when he turns one wheel the other is stationary and he also said that the case is stamped 3 11. I dont think they made side loaders in 3 11 ie e24, e12, e9. The question is this, Under a load is this when the limited lock up operates. 75% or whatever.

Also is this why only one wheel turns, does it take a heavyload to get it to lock up. He has said that it is coming off a e24 1979 the 3 11 doesnt make sense..

D-jetronic

Reaction score
Hello !!
If this may help !
Concerning the "3/11" stamp, I guess this guy may not have read correctly the stamp.
The inscription at the case should be 38/11 which is the ratio of a 3.0 CS/CSUSA rear differential.
Then how can you guess , you have a lim.diff. axle ?
I searched a long time this item and I finally made out that :
1/When it is not on the car, it's very complicated to guess (unless opening it). Here in France,BMW mechanics told me that you had to grip both wheels and move them at the same time,in the same direction and"feel" or appreciate the resistance of the diff. compared with another normal one. You should have as well an inscription (see below photo) S XX.
This never convinced me.
On the other hand BMW said that all lim.diff. where painted with a big letter "S" on the case (Sperr differenzial). I saw lim.diff. with no letter on it !!!
So what to think ?
I would suggest you to be careful with this buy as you may get a normal one.
Ask him for the stamp "S" on the case.

2/When it's on the car , things are simple to do :

Put one wheel of the the car on tool !1st gear and if it goes off the tool..you got it !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Some one may have more accurate experience !!!!

E9'ly yours .

D-jetronic

Reaction score
...of course for diff on car, you need an equivalent tool as the BMW's.
I made one .
It 's quite easy to make.