Location of fuel filter, carb motor

hans3

Site Donor
Reaction score
For those with carbureated E9s, I'm trying to find out the proper location for the clear plastic fuel filter that's plumbed into the main fuel feed line. The owner's manual (2800CS) shows only a mesh screen filter in the fuel pump, but I see the clear paper-element filter available from parts vendors. Is it supposed to be located by the fuel tank or somewhere near the firewall?

Thanks,
Hans

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score
It should be situated on the driver's side firewall area, between he air cleaner and coolant expansion tank.

Bert
72 3.5 CSi
88 M6

cpeavey

Reaction score
Clear plastic? Are you sure? I bought my '74 already converted to Webers, so the fuel system was modified, but I have a steel filter in the fuel line and it looks like the one in the parts diagrams (link below). Mine is located in the fuel hose before the camshaft-driven pump, but it's just sort of resting there. I am missing the bracket, clamp, etc. that is apparently supposed to support it. I'm guessing that stuff is supposed to attach to the firewall.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=7013&mospid=47811&btnr=13_0728&hg=13&fg=10

Charlie
'74 3.0CS