Lock stuck.

pkinden

Reaction score
I have a 72 3.0 CS and my trunk lock is stuck. Gotta get in my trunk. I locked it last night for first time. Was a tight and had to force a little when turning tiki the right. I’ve tried wd 40 and torquing a bit. Tried to remove seat. Solid wall. Used pliers to grip better wouldn’t budge. Help !

Wladek

Reaction score
Try to get thru tank door, remove rubber gasket.
If you have speakers on rear shelf you can try to get to the lock thru them.

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
Try some CRC electro cleaner. It breaks up the hardended lube in the locks fairly well.. Won't hurt anything either. Just keep giving it a blast every couple of hours for 4-5 times while turning the key in the last 2 blast. You should feel the sludge in the lock giving way as you go. Keep repeating until it's all free and turning. You'll be golden. Patience is a virtue...

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Also look at your key for "newly marked" areas which show you where you are hanging up. I did this when I had a new key made and it hung up on one door. I used an emery board and barely touched the thing and it worked out well.

pkinden

Reaction score
Try to get thru tank door, remove rubber gasket.
If you have speakers on rear shelf you can try to get to the lock thru them.
Man this sounds like a fabulous idea thank you very much. Going to give it a try now.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
If the vinyl covered tail panel is still in place I don’t know how you will be able to reach the lock itself. The lock tab has to be in the vertical position at 12:00 to hit the horizontal striker visible in second photo.

58E53718-A090-46EB-8D3B-8B9D9E5BAD21.jpeg
1571FD2C-94C4-4380-92F0-0830D1731072.jpeg
h

When the lock is locked it touches nothing and provides no resistance. When unlocked there is resistance as it hits the striker. The key only turns 90 degrees, are you having trouble turning the key or pushing in on the lock?

pkinden

Reaction score
Well I figured out how to remove bezel and removed nut closest to gas cap but cannot find or feel in the dark the second one that holds the bezel. Looks like once I did might still struggle with access to remaining two nuts. Meanwhile I Keep squirting wd40 ( all I have currently ) and trying to twist the lock. Bit frustrating computer is inside w big project needing done by tomorrow yikes ! Thanks for the tips though. If I get lucky I’ll update.

pkinden

Reaction score
If the vinyl covered tail panel is still in place I don’t know how you will be able to reach the lock itself. The lock tab has to be in the vertical position at 12:00 to hit the horizontal striker visible in second photo.

View attachment 136657View attachment 136658 h

When the lock is locked it touches nothing and provides no resistance. When unlocked there is resistance as it hits the striker. The key only turns 90 degrees, are you having trouble turning the key or pushing in on the lock?
The key is currently horizontal. I turned it from vertical to the right to lock. There was resistance but it popped into full horizontal position. That’s where it is stuck. The button presses in like it should but in locked position does nothing

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I wonder if the striker is bent and the lock tab is trying to get behind instead of in front of it.

With tail panel in place it is tough. If gas boot is off, you would need to reach in with a short screwdriver and remove the filler pipe clamp to have room for your arm.

Long studs removed in this pic.
12816E9C-F697-4AB9-8EB6-ADD9792F12EF.jpeg

pkinden

Reaction score
Thank you. Great pic. I have the vinyl cover to contend with but may be able to get around. So there are 4 nuts on the bezel inside I need to remove total correct ? Then the lens just pops off ?

pkinden

Reaction score
Relooking it appears 2 nuts on opposing corners have long bolts. Removing the 2 inside nuts off them should release bezel. Then remove nuts holding lenses to the body which are also removed from inside. Sound about right ? Can’t tell you how appreciative I am

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Relooking it appears 2 nuts on opposing corners have long bolts. Removing the 2 inside nuts off them should release bezel. Then remove nuts holding lenses to the body which are also removed from inside. Sound about right ? Can’t tell you how appreciative I am
You got it!