Locking Bolt for bottom of strut

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
So I have a bit of a problem. Want to replace my lower control arms, but I see one of the bolts on the bottom of one strut that should have a wire through it, has been broken off. (see photo) I am sure I can get the others off, but what do you think the likelihood is of extracting what is left of the broken locking bolt, with the strut still attached? Also, where would I get such a replacement locking bolt. I see them listed at Jaymic, but one bolt? I am hoping I can find something closer. Cannot find a part number on realoem, and parts guy at dealership,
after some E9 education, could not help either. Thanks for your input. Mike

SAM_2895.JPG

Once the steering arm has been removed, it looks like enough of the bolt sticks out to grab with locking vise grips, after lots of penetrating oil. I broke one recently but strut was not in car. It was flush, we cut a groove with a Dremel on each side and used large screwdrivers with a wrench on the shank to remove. Lesson learned: don't tighten with an air gun!

Section 32/12:

Hey new locking bolts arrived today via local dealer $20 delivered, for 3. Now I can snap a couple extras off in the process of replacing 1. Thanks for the part number Chris! Mike
SAM_2941.JPG

Agree with Allan, easy to drill, I start with a small bit and then use a unibit or whatever you call those bits that act like reamers? then chip out leftovers with a punch, and run tap to clean threads.

Back