Looking at a 2000 CS and have questions ...

zambo

Reaction score
Hi everyone - this is my first post here.

I am looking at what appears to be a nicely presented 2000 CS (pics attached). It is a plane flight away so I am doing the research thing first. The info on the net about them is OK - clearly not as well resourced as the later 6 cyl cars. So hoping some learned heads here might be able to assist.

7122697.jpg

One question I have is, is the car in an original colour from the pics? I know that images can be deceiving, but the sticker seems to be missing from the engine bay that contains the colour name/code.

I know that the cars mechanically are pretty robust and serviceable (I own a mint '02 and recognise a lot about the engine bay in this CS immediately).

[Broken External Image]:http://members.optusnet.com.au/zambo/Beemer 02/cs 006.jpg

Second question, it has some pretty ugly wheels on it - the offset seems all wrong so I was wondering if getting suitable wheels for the CS would be an issue.

[Broken External Image]:http://members.optusnet.com.au/zambo/Beemer 02/5348284.jpg

I guess that's all for now - I know the key thing is to check for rust and I was wondering if there were any specific areas that the 2000 CS deviated from the 6 cyl CS's in this regard.

Thanks

Richard

Hello Richard and welcome!
Basically an E9 is a 2000CS with new front end metal, and of course a 6 cylinder engine!

The 2000CS rots in the same places so look at the "rust" section in this site.
The only other things I can think of that maybe a concern are as follows, basically because of the difficulty of sourcing parts that may be required.

1... Front wings, valance, Nose Cone, and slam panel.
2... Headlight reflectors, lenses.
3... Front indicators.
4... Front brake parts, calipers and disks (possible swap for later E9 parts?)
5... Interior and exterior chrome and trim.
6... Spare wheel, tools etc in the boot.

As to the wheels you should be able to find a suitable set either 2nd hand, NOS, or refurbished. Try Jaymic (UK) or Walloth and Nesch in Germany, both are helpful.
Notice it is RHD, Is it for sale in the UK? If so and by a dealer make sure it has a valid MOT etc and check all the paperwork very carefully!!!

Good Luck
Malc

The color is not original. It is too "dark" to be Fjord Blue.

This car is missing one very important piece, the belt trim piece that goes across the nose panel above the headlights.

Basically, no parts are available new from BMW for this model, except the mechanical parts which are shared with the 02 family and the E3/E9 families.

The nose trim piece is very hard to find in good condition used because it is easily dinged.

This car's wheels appear to have E21 offsets. The proper offsets are the same as 2002s or E30s. The originals were steel 14x5" with trim rings and hubcaps. (A few people have put them on 2002s).

The 2000CSs rust in pretty much the same places as the E9s: front fenders, inner and outer, firewall, floors, rocker panels and rear wheel openings.

This car does look nice in the pictures and the "euro" headlights are very desirable. Is it right hand drive?

Is it just me, or is it missing the nose section beltline trim?

The only color I know of, of that period, that has similar color characterisitics is Fijord Metallic Blue. If you open the doors, the door jamb closest to the engine should have a plate, with "Karmann" written on it. It should have the original paint code stamped in it.

Alternatively, you could also get the VIN and ask BMW about it. They can tell you the manufacture date, the sale date, and the original color.

Definitely not an original color. Looks like the tail lights are late 2800CS or 3.0CS -- amber turn lenses. Early 2800CS and 2000's had red.

Thanks for all that ...

Much appreciated, all the comments.

Its in Australia which explains the RHD status, a world away from the UK!

I noticed the trim piece on the nose was missing and noted on the few pics that I have seen of that area on other cars that it appears to be a slotted strip - is that correct?

So any 14" wheels designed for the 02 appear to be suitable then for replacement of the ones that are on it.

I can see from the engine bay pic that the vin plate is still in place so I will call the seller today and ask for that info as well as ask them to check for the door jam plate - it's on the A pillar from your description I gather, is that passenger or driver side (or left or right side might be better to take the U.S. versus UK/Aus orientation out of the description!).

I'll keep you posted on how it goes - thanks again.

Richard

I am in Brisbane!

Thanks Matt

You (and the fellow you refer to) are just down the road from me (I am in Brisbane) - so that info would be great. Does he have a 2000 or the bigger capacity CS's?

Regards

Richard

The colour from the Karmann pillar tag appears to be Nr 42 - this on a 2002 chart is listed as Baikaln/aMet (Med Blue). Is that a different colour to that shown on the car itself?

Vin is 1103082 - not sure what that says about age/stage it was produced in the production run of the model.

Thanks for any further feedback - regards

Richard

Hello Richard
Now you know the VIN number you can contact BMW Mobile Tradition and they should be able to tell you the following:
1... Manufacture date
2... Original colour
3... First delivery point (Country and possibly the dealer)

Sometimes they have additional information which they will let you have.

Malc

Edit/Added...
The engine number should match the vin number if original, however it's not a big deal (IMHO) if it doesn't

Thanks Malc

Sent off a request just before so we'll see how Mobile Tradition goes with the info - they have been fairly prompt with '02 queries in the past so I assume this will be the same.

Still not sure about this colour actually on the car - the Karmann tag showed 42 as the colour ref which on an '02 is considered a rare colour (though I have no reference for what 42 actually looks like) - not sure if it was rare on CS's though.

I'll keep you posted.

Cheers

Richard

Thanks Matt - if you could put us in touch it would be excellent to talk with him about 2000 CS's generally and get his advice.

Don't know the one around Mt Gravatt and I live pretty close to there. I will keep an eye out though now I know.

Cheers

Richard

2000 cs

I would have to agree the color is not original. But that's the least of your concerns if you're alright with it. It does look like they did a fair job on the paint since it looks like they had the engine out to paint it.

One positive note is the 2000 CS moniker on the aircleaner. That is usually missing and is rare to find. I've been looking for one for years.

Also, your question on the frontline belt trim. The slotted strips were just painted or taped black for looks. It's a solid piece.

Some other things to check:
Front shock towers for any cracks or rust along body seams

headliner usually separates from the roof foam backing

interior - if you can visibly see some parts missing, or in bad shape be sure your ok with that since it may be years before you find good used replacements

I've had 2002's and I can tell you that this car with the 2 liter engine is a cruiser, not quick and agile like the 2002. It has some nice pickup and it does handle turns well, you can do some spirited driving in it. If you read the history, it was underpowered.

This is a good site:

http://www.bmwworld.com/models/newsixes/2000cs.htm

Also, there's a German site listed on that one at the end which is really good.

Thanks Mark!

My everyday car is a hi boost Volvo C70 which is a nice cruiser as well, but my wife can't understand why I keep coming back to the old classics as toys. I explain that it is cheaper (and arguable better for my health) than a mistress or a boat!

The one obvious item I noted was missing inside was the cowling around the instrument panel. I thought if this is shared with the 6 cyl CS's and they are removable (?) I could borrow one from a trusting owner and get one made up. Apart from that I am thinking of catching a flight to Sydney to have a look over it with a mate who is off to look at a 911 track car he has in his sights.

That way I can get under it (and they have offered their hoist to review the underneath as well) and that way I can get a clear idea.

I contact Mobile Tradition and they say the vehicle was originally chamonix and delivered to Zurich back in September '66. Which makes me think it was a LHD originally (though MT concedes their order book did not differentiate LHD vs RHD on these cars often) . Not sure that is an issue if it is a good car.

Thanks for the other tips to look out for. I'll keep you posted.

Cheers

Richard

Back