Looking at a used e46 touring

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Oh man, I really do not need this... I have the opportunity to buy an e46 wagon/touring. 145k miles. Great shape with many maintenance records available. 5 speed. I've been lusting after these highly practical yet fun to drive cars as a daily driver for a long time. However, the last thing I need right now is to buy another car... I really need to repaint my coupe first. But the manual wagons are becoming rare birds so I am torn.

In the meantime, what are some of the items to watch for when buying one of those? I remember that several e46 had issues with cracked rear subframes or something to that effect. Does that affect the touring one as well?

Thank you.

Last edited:

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have one of those. My dog poking out the window in my avatar is now 9.
I have 225,000 km on mine I think. It has been taken out of the mix ever since I bought a Subaru Turbo Forester. It is a great car. I heard that wagons are not afflicted with Sub frame issues. Might be a rumour though.
Mine has been ultra dependable. I believe the suspensions are a weak link. They need rebuilding every 60,000 miles in my experience. I have had AC problems, changed the cooling system pre emptively and that is about it . Very smooth motor, good mileage, and with the standard always seems to be naturally driving within the speed limit.
Find a sport pack if you can. Maybe make an offer on mine, I will not buy a new car without AWD going forward unless it is a sports car as I seek out winter wherever it is in Canada.
I highly recommend the 05-08 Turbo Forester if you can hack the feeling of cheap Japanese interiors. Light and easy to mod. (All the STI parts fit)

Last edited:

w. chen

Reaction score
My nephew had a 2003 or 04 e46 wagon. It had one of those lo emissions eng models. These r the ones that have a close loop or sealed system for the fuel system. Also had hvac issues. He couldn’t sell the bloody wagon n finally donated it. The final nail in the coffin, the fuel pump was going out. To change it, u buy the whole fuel tank as the whole unit is sealed, pump is part of tank. It could be a California thing/model. Don’t go near these lo emission ones. My take.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
My nephew had a 2003 or 04 e46 wagon. It had one of those lo emissions eng models. These r the ones that have a close loop or sealed system for the fuel system. Also had hvac issues. He couldn’t sell the bloody wagon n finally donated it. The final nail in the coffin, the fuel pump was going out. To change it, u buy the whole fuel tank as the whole unit is sealed, pump is part of tank. It could be a California thing/model. Don’t go near these lo emission ones. My take.
I always come back to the wisdom of the Roundel. Never own a BMW out of warranty.

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Interesting. Which models had the "lo-emission engine". I remember the eta motors of the 528e e28 (?) but not in regards to the e46. The one I am looking at is a California car.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Those California compliant cars should be avoided. Parts nightmares. I think Vermont got them too. My friend bought an E92 Cali car and even the rad has some type of emissions sensor that will trigger a CEL. The gas tank in the Cali E46 is stainless rather than plastic from what I heard. Crazy expensive. The rest of the E46 have a fuel pump that can be changed in half an hour for $200 for the OE pump.

w. chen

Reaction score

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
The e46 lot emission version is called SULEV for Super Ultra Low Emission Vehicle and the engines are easily identified with the oil filler located on the timing cover instead of the valve cover. M56 engine designation. M54 is the standard engine and emission system.

vince

Site Donor
Reaction score
I bought one last year, as an extra family car. I couldn't pass it up, it was a one owner, always garaged, and 95K miles. It's only a 323 non x auto but it has every option including the sport package plus it's black on black. It's our second e46 (the other was a M3). The e46s and e39s are the last great BMWs. After having a horrible experience with a 2013 X5 (thank goodness, it was under warranty), I don't know if I would actually own a BMW newer than 2006.

I agree with Nicad, I don't think the wagons had sub frame issues but I'm not 100% sure on that.

IMG_1888.jpg

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Here's mine. 2003 , rear wheel drive,Mystic Blue, No sunroof, factory Navi, 5speed,sport package, Alcantara M steering wheel, 330 I brakes, axles, Koni fsd struts and shocks, Turner sway bars.

Attachments

• IMG_20181104_104745.jpg
    IMG_20181104_104745.jpg
    618.7 KB · Views: 548

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Beautiful! That Mystic blue is stunning. Do you have any pics in the sun?
This is with some Sun. Note the keyed rear quarter panel. Some people can't deal with nice stuff

Attachments

• IMG_20180921_102148.jpg
    IMG_20180921_102148.jpg
    506.5 KB · Views: 251

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
I Love the interior of the E46 too. Not over styled. Great sight lines. Still has low window sills for hanging an arm out of.
Hose it down tough vinyl

Attachments

• MVIMG_20180926_165851.jpg
    MVIMG_20180926_165851.jpg
    357.8 KB · Views: 239

vince

Site Donor
Reaction score
Here's mine. 2003 , rear wheel drive,Mystic Blue, No sunroof, factory Navi, 5speed,sport package, Alcantara M steering wheel, 330 I brakes, axles, Koni fsd struts and shocks, Turner sway bars.

Wow, a slicktop - pretty rare. I've always loved Mystic Blue. I almost bought an M3 6 speed convertible in that color with a dark blue top but it had one too many issues.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Wow, a slicktop - pretty rare. I've always loved Mystic Blue. I almost bought an M3 6 speed convertible in that color with a dark blue top but it had one too many issues.
Any idea on production numbers without the sunroof? I have never seen another. It also has Xenon which was quite a pricey option in 2003. When I bought it my plan was to convert it to M3 spec.....then I did some research and found out you had to do major electronic stuff well out of my capabilities, including removing the dashboard. It certainly served it's purpose with the 2.5 as a daily driver. The dog entering the family made this purchase. happen. At that time I had driven VR6 Corrados since 1993 and just written off one in a low speed accident (Two previous ones stolen)
These cars are decent in snow on level ground, but it all falls apart on hills or if there is any accumulation. Got stuck one too many times in rural areas at night.Probably going to put it back in service as my youngest gets her license and insists that her older Brother had a car to drive to school, so she is getting my Sube.
I think I'd be most into this car if it had LSx power. A wagon with big torque and rumble.

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
How is the rear seat room? My 3 kids are grown up and when we are all in the same car, whoever is stuck in the middle rear always starts screaming after 10-15 minutes. Tin many cars, there is a very uncomfortable hump in that center "seat" that makes it quite difficult for any adult.
How is the middle rear seat in the Touring?

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
All I'd have to say is better than an 07 Forester. If they are big kids, they better be friendly. With 2 passengers, the car is like a 3 series sedan in terms of legroom and comfort. What really seems good to me on the Touring is body solidity when you close the door. Nice solid feel. I do think styling wise the E46 touring is the best 3 series overall. Don't like the current one which I rented 4 years ago. Couldn't see out the back. The E92 Touring is quite nice to drive. Still has hydraulic steering and a nice straight six.