Looking for info on the 2.5 CS

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm in the very beginning stages of researching the Coupes as I'm looking at purchasing one over the next 6 months. This forum has been great help as I lurk within...

There is a very attractive 1975 Amazonit Grun 2.5 CS for sale in Europe. I understand this was a down-market model in response to the oil crisis. How was the engine made smaller in displacement? bore? stroke?

I've now seen several 2.5 for sale that actually had a 3.0 badge. I have yet to see a 2.5 badge; was there one...??

What other differences were there in the 2.5 vs the 3.0?

Thanks in advance for sharing your expertise!

Luis

BTW, when I try to search for 2.5 in the forum search function it comes back with nothing; maybe the term is too short...

x_atlas0

Reaction score
The 2.5 M30 was smaller in both bore and stroke, as far as I know. Other than that, the cars were pretty much the same as any other E9, aside from being optioned down. The car itself is pretty dang rare, with less than 1000 produced.

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply.

I did a bit more searching and for those interested, I found on Google books that "The Complete Book of BMW" has on page 86 a table comparing the primary specs of all CS models. It shows the 2.5 as having the same bore but a shorter stroke. This book has quite a few pages of the coupes chapter that can be read on Google books. Looks like a pretty good book.

Luis

CSL 1973

Reaction score
Hi Luis!

The 2.5 CS is a very interesting and rare coupe - in original condition, it's a real collector car nowadays.

It is the "oil-crise version" originally equipped with the smaller 2.5 liter engine, smaller tool-box in the trunk, other rims, non-lockable glove-department etc.

The car is very rare with only 844 cars produced (600 cars with manual gearbox and only 244 with automatic).

The VIN ranges are:

2.5 CS: 4305001-4305600
2.5 CSA: 4315001-4315244

The production period was 4/1974-12/1975 and the price new was 31 220 (CS)/32 800 (CSA) Deutsche Mark in August 1975.

This summer I drove my 2.5 CS (VIN 4305050) some 300 kilometers on small summer roads in Sweden. After the syncro of the two Zenith carbs, it runs like new.

Cheers