Looking for the base part of a flag mirror.

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I bought 2 flag mirrors used. When I received them, I discovered the both tiny set screws had been drilled out or stripped. Apparently you cannot retap those.

Would anyone have a left or right base I could buy from them?

I also need the bar that attaches to the door. The one I have now is for a Trap mirror and they are slighty smaller.

Thank you.

Hi Chris. If I remember correctly you recently started a thread asking how to put those back together. My plan was to follow the instructions in that thread.

That was a trapezoid mirror, the flag style is larger and doesn't come apart. I have a used base for a trap you can have.

Thanks Chris.

I do have a trap mirror with base now but its glass and white trim piece are gone. I got a L + R set of flag ones I was hoping to use instead. But we found out about the screw threads being stripped which was pretty irritating.

I did not realize those do not come apart... I have not actually tried to but it looks like they have a similar mechanism as the traps so I thought they would come apart the same way. Is that not right?

If you push on the flag glass it doesn't move, push on a trap glass and it retracts, two large springs behind the glass, and the trim piece then slips out of the frame allowing glass to be removed.

Darn. Did not know that. Thanks Chris.

Le me try this then: Does anyone know of a way to fix those screw threads? Can they really not be retapped slightly larger? Is there a helicoil available in that size?

Or are my mirrors basically completely useless?

When I bought Athena her trap mirror was attached with a small phillips head wood screw. I was afraid of the trap falling off or the mirror gasket failing and glass flying off as I drove. I bought a newer flag with a good bracket and set screw.

May have to bite the bullet and buy new mirrors.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 119
Thanks guys.

Viphoto, I got the impression from the threads I read on the subject that one could not take this mirror apart for some reason. Having the nut free floating as you mentioned would be a good reason. Problem is, unless someone has already checked, there is only one way to find out. And if it is floating then you basically end up with a paperweight.

I am confused..the flag mirror I have has a bolt connecting the base and flag, can't you just remove the bolt and change bases? I guess that assumes that there is only one type of Flag mirror and that the nut is trapped inside the flag portion instead of free floating.
As far a helicoils go maybe one of these will work. http://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tn/...l-Inserts/Free-Running-Inserts?navid=12106045

if you need to re-thread something, I highly recommend looking into 'time sert' in my opinion, much better than other types, but expensive if you have to buy the kit

I have two flag mirrors I just took off my coupe because I have new ones for the rebuild.

Give me a day or so and I will go look at one.
They weren't too bad when removed.

Gary

So I decided to test the theory that the nut is captured and took out the bolt and low and behold ..... It was (at least on mine). So it looks like you can just change the base if desired.

Does anyone know if you can replace the set screw? Mine isn't budging and I will likely need to drill it out.

Back