Lost the clutch

bill

Site Donor
Reaction score
After driving 10 miles with no problem, I shifted from 1st to 2nd. Clutch went to the floor, and didn’t come back up! Minimal fluid loss over the last months, I figured it wasn’t enough to worry about, reservoir is slightly down. Master and slave were replaced a while ago. I know what I have to do to find the problem, just wondering if anyone else has experienced this? I love my coupe….!

With the pedal at the floor, is the clutch now released or still engaged?
With the pedal At the floor, I got into 2nd. But the pedal didn’t return (Imagine my surprise.) With no clutch, I just pushed the shifter into neutral somehow and was able to stop. Pedal still at the floor.

Now with the pedal on the floor, is the clutch engaged or disengaged? Can you put it into gear with the engine running or does it just grind?

Now with the pedal on the floor, is the clutch engaged or disengaged? Can you put it into gear with the engine running or does it just grind?
Inspection reveals an abraded clutch line with some leakage, so I’m going to replace that. It also occurred to me that I have never replaced the rubber hose, which is probably original. I suspect, as with the brake lines that I replaced years ago, the clutch hose is probably constricted internally, and I’ll bet that is causing my lost clutch problem. Thanks for your help!

Hi Bill, Just responded to your other post for a wtb...

Is the clutch line leaking the feed line from the fluid reservoir?

On my 1972 there is a hard line from the clutch master to the reservoir. The hard line inserts into the clutch master and there is just a small bit of hose that allows attachment at the reservoir. Is that what you have? If so, I have some of that that I can send you...

Can you manually grab the pedal and pull it up, then pump it up by hand to see if it gets any pressure in the system? Over the years, I have learned that being new or just replaced doesn't mean much these days Sounds like to me that your M/C is done but the leaking and old lines are not helping all, very good idea to replace those first

Thanks, Rick

Hi Bill, Just responded to your other post for a wtb...

Is the clutch line leaking the feed line from the fluid reservoir?

On my 1972 there is a hard line from the clutch master to the reservoir. The hard line inserts into the clutch master and there is just a small bit of hose that allows attachment at the reservoir. Is that what you have? If so, I have some of that that I can send you...
Sent pm

Had a difficult problem with another person's bimmer - evenutally it was discovered that the piston in the clutch slave was stuck in the fully depressed condition. You'd have to disassemble the clutch slave to assess this, or know from experience how much of the clutch actuating rod should be visible when operating normally.

Yeah, I have a clutch slave rebuild kit and a core, but at $18 for a new one I haven't bothered to open up the one that failed.

Had a difficult problem with another person's bimmer - evenutally it was discovered that the piston in the clutch slave was stuck in the fully depressed condition. You'd have to disassemble the clutch slave to assess this, or know from experience how much of the clutch actuating rod should be visible when operating normally.
I have an “inside” slave so I can’t see what it’s doing. Yet another one of those quirks we ‘74 owners have to deal with…

There is an indent right there so you can measure shaft travel. Read the book- it gives instructions.
IMG_6920.jpeg
IMG_6919.jpeg

Back