Lower Deck Tray Panel

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
I could not save this so need to purchase a new one or good used one. As far as I know, my only option is Madera Concepts, any other sources? Also I know it is personal preference but I can cover in original black vinyl or I have plenty of quarter sawed walnut laminate. Any opinions wrt look but also durability? I took the picture below from Madera but this is what my wood work looks like now so you see my dilemma.

1581342418173.png

I can't imagine that you would want a used panel - the plywood always seems to be delaminating and repros aren't that expensive. I got mine from Madera and it fit fine.

In terms of what to cover it with, I really like the original look - the black vinyl on the horizontal surface contrasts nicely with the vertical wood behind it. All wood would be too much. And for practical reasons, vinyl is going to wear better - I use my tray, tossing garage door openers, sunglasses, etc there - wood would get scratched up.

We are on the same page. I love wood but worried that there would not be enough contrast. Madera wants $260 shipped, I cannot imagine Bella improving on that , especially with postage.

We are on the same page. I love wood but worried that there would not be enough contrast. Madera wants $260 shipped, I cannot imagine Bella improving on that , especially with postage.

Not a dig at Madera... That price seems shockingly fair to me!

Agreed, fair when I think about the time it would take me to do myself. I also have to say, they are very customer oriented which is much appreciated.

Agreed, fair when I think about the time it would take me to do myself. I also have to say, they are very customer oriented which is much appreciated.

The underside has quite a bit of complexity to it. I wouldn’t want to DIY it if a good retail option exists.

i agree Markos ... the question is, does it come with the thick dark vinyl ... and the half-round wooden strips? or is it just the base? regardless, the price is much better than going the DIY route.
the glue on the lock nuts tends to turn to powder after a while (on the original ones) ... as well as delamination.

I sent them an email today asking about the vinyl, ribs, etc re: prices. If it's ribs and vinyl for $260 shipped to east coast, I'll cease to restore any more.

Nope. They do not look veneered though, believe they are solid. I am not sure how Madera matches these to the rest of the chosen wood. Veneering seems so time consuming. Probable get a porous wood that can be stained to match. I will actually ask them.

Curious what they use...of the loose ones that I have, they appear to be light-colored French/Persian/whatever walnut...an alternative would be Butternut, sometimes called "white walnut", historically. Asia uses a lot of Rubberwood, which is bland, light in color, and easily finished to match about anything...Most indoor things cheap and Asian are rubberwood...not bad stuff, tho. Attached is pic of OEM fin...

Attachments

• e9 fin.JPG
    e9 fin.JPG
    24.2 KB · Views: 113
I sanded, then used 0000 steel wool after varnish removal then stained with Minwax special walnut as I did the quarter sawed veneer I used.

I spoke to Madera, they are solid and made of wood that will remain a trade secret (their words). They told me many have asked what it was made from. They stain to match whatever type of wood was ordered. I mentioned rubberwood and got no inflection in his voice.

Nope. They do not look veneered though, believe they are solid. I am not sure how Madera matches these to the rest of the chosen wood. Veneering seems so time consuming. Probable get a porous wood that can be stained to match. I will actually ask them.
I re-veneered mine and it is time consuming until I worked out how to do it.

Back