Lowering Springs?

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Found it. We need one of these, but here may be some form of a guide, not absolute, but relative spring rates. MyE28.com has a lot of info .

1607361413406.png

Last edited:

ROOTS.

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

i have E12 H&R 29533 lowering springs all round with Bilstein B6 shocks. The rears have adjustable perch’s so it can be lowered, however, the front is about 1-1.5 inches too high for my liking.

the wheels are 15’ with a 685mm overall diameter so they are very close to what a 16’ wheel on low profile tyres would be, give or take a couple of mm.

does anyone know for certain if an E9 spring - by any manufacturer - sits lower than the H&R? I assume the E12 & E9 springs from H&R are the same specification, but correct me if I’m wrong!

not looking to “slam” the front by any means, just get that 1 or 2 finger tyre to arch gap so I can then lower the rear to suit so I have a bit of rake & the car doesn’t sit quite so proud.

coilovers aren’t an option as I want to retain the original struts.

thanks in advance, Ian

Attachments

• DDF454BB-CD03-41B2-8C31-D0C70ADE5709.jpeg
    DDF454BB-CD03-41B2-8C31-D0C70ADE5709.jpeg
    565.6 KB · Views: 98
  • 3DE597D2-6227-42C8-9614-C67CCD4659AC.jpeg
    3DE597D2-6227-42C8-9614-C67CCD4659AC.jpeg
    273.2 KB · Views: 100
  • DD42625B-0F42-4B0C-9F95-4D53FCA508CF.jpeg
    DD42625B-0F42-4B0C-9F95-4D53FCA508CF.jpeg
    158.7 KB · Views: 106

Riggingslinger

Reaction score
Hi dspoljaric

Exciting! I will be installing H&R sport springs on my '73 Bavaria. If possible, please provide the model number of the ST front and rear sway bars? I may be tempted...

Regard
Bill P.
Hi there Bill,
New member here; long time looky loo though ! Have the same sway bars as you for years now and they are great. I recently aquired a set of H&R springs to try on my E3 but on the drivers side front, the wheel grabbed the fender lip coming into a driveway turning left. Fortunately not too much damage and it could be put back. I have the Si, so there is stainless trim there which is really difficult to roll and i don’t want to remove it. The passenger side doesn’t grab at all even though same trim. I have Carl Nelson camber plates and original strut spacers removed. I tried Carls springs too (they didn’t grab), but they were not a good match at all to my OEM rears, so that’s why I took them out. These H&R are a tad lower than Carls springs and the car on the drivers side naturally sits about 5 -10 mm lower on that front corner anyway so I must have been really close before. Wondering if you had any issues this way, or are you completely rolled on that fender ? Thinking of putting a small strut spacer in to make up that height up again to get around this annoying problem.

billpatterson

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi there Bill,
New member here; long time looky loo though ! Have the same sway bars as you for years now and they are great. I recently aquired a set of H&R springs to try on my E3 but on the drivers side front, the wheel grabbed the fender lip coming into a driveway turning left. Fortunately not too much damage and it could be put back. I have the Si, so there is stainless trim there which is really difficult to roll and i don’t want to remove it. The passenger side doesn’t grab at all even though same trim. I have Carl Nelson camber plates and original strut spacers removed. I tried Carls springs too (they didn’t grab), but they were not a good match at all to my OEM rears, so that’s why I took them out. These H&R are a tad lower than Carls springs and the car on the drivers side naturally sits about 5 -10 mm lower on that front corner anyway so I must have been really close before. Wondering if you had any issues this way, or are you completely rolled on that fender ? Thinking of putting a small strut spacer in to make up that height up again to get around this annoying problem.

Hi there
I did have rubbing issue when I turned sharply unto a sloped driveway. I rolled my fenders and that solved it. However, with the HR springs and the removal of the aluminum spacer from between the strut and the upper fender, I found the car was sitting a touch too low for me. I thought about reinstalling the spacer but remembered I cut down the strut bearing's mounting bolts. LOL. So last fall I installed coil spring spacers. Pretty cool. You measure up the coil and order ( from Amazon.ca) based on how much space between the coils. Super simple install and the height is a lil adjustable since the coils are progressive. I did not measure the difference but looks to be 1/2"-3/4". I find it stiffened up the suspension only a lil as the spacer material is spongy.

Regards
Bill

Installed,
coil spacer2.jpg

Model,

coil spacer box.jpg

After,

coil spacer result.jpg

Before,

before coil spacer.jpg

Last edited:

Riggingslinger

Reaction score
Thanks for the insight Bill ! I saw those spacers in another post from you I believe. Have never seen one exactly like that. Either way, I’ll eventually get back and let you know what I ended up doing.

Wobdog

a.k.a Mike
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Very good timing hopefully I am putting on my Alpina wheels next week and spring are on my list