LS mirror is loose

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
As mentioned, my driver's side door mirror base is a little loose. I removed the door panel to try to see how the mirror base was fastened, but cannot see anything. Can someone explain how this is actually attached to the door? Thanks. Mike

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Mirror is mounted to the bracket by a set screw hidden under the rear side of the gasket. Lift up the gasket end and unscrew the screw some and the mirror will come off. Then you'll be able to see why its loose by seeing the bracket.

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hi Mike,
There’s a support bracket on the inside which has got loose
Pic shows it
8306693D-3A40-4627-897B-EC59A9094D89.jpeg

Roger S

Reaction score
Be careful when tightening that screw. The lock/cage with nut behind it could fail and/or the metal on the door skin could get compromised.

It was either on this forum or the o2FAQ where someone posted that they drilled two holes into and put a band of sheet metal (e.g., 1/2" x 5") on the inside of the door to distribute the tension and protect the door skin. If mine were to fail, I'd remove the door panel and window to the same.

Torque lightly. If the nut cage is broken, I believe all the usual vendors have it. If not, check Vintage Autobahn.

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hey Roger, I had those same fears. Been there. So, with suitable trepidation, and masking tape on painted surface of door around the mirror, I proceeded with caution. Peeled back that tab part of the mounting gasket. Shone a light into the access. Once I determined the set screw was a simple slot type, I fed a small screwdriver into the opening. It turned! Lucky me :). No stripped head, no cursing, backed right out. I quickly determined the mount onto the door was sound, only the set screw had loosened a few threads. Cleaned up and lubricated, I put everything back together and now the mirror mount is solid again. Really appreciate the input from this incredibly helpful Forum, once again. Now I can move on down the list, check! ;)
View of the set screw that secures the mirror base to mount in door :

IMG_1861.JPG