LSD differential overhaul/gear change

shanon

Reaction score
Howdy Coupers,

Have a spare/dupicate LSD that I'd like to change the gears on and need to remove the center bolt in the output flange. Is there a trick? I can turn the center bolt by isolating the opposite side's bolt, but not sure if this is how it is removed.

I need to ID my internal (ring?) gear's bolt 'direction' (I'm told) to order the proper new gears. Evidentally, there are two gear 'bolt direction' options.

Any advice/help appreciated!

-shanon

thanks.
gave them a call but still have a few questions. Has anyone here personally openned a differential before? Do ya have to isolate the flanges or just the 19mm bolts? or both? Removing the 19mm seems to be the key, the flat side' perimeter 13mm's are all loose and side is separated.

Anyone got a exploded diagram of a side loader LSD?

puzzled.... :roll:

TIA
-shanon

thanks.
gave them a call but still have a few questions. Has anyone here personally openned a differential before? Do ya have to isolate the flanges or just the 19mm bolts? or both? Removing the 19mm seems to be the key, the flat side' perimeter 13mm's are all loose and side is separated.

Anyone got a exploded diagram of a side loader LSD?

puzzled.... :roll:

TIA
-shanon

The only thing that holds the outlet flanges on is the bolt in the center. When I replaced my output seals I just spun the center bolts out with the air impact.

OK & many thanks.
Did you isolate the opposite 19mm bolts and it just 'spins' out?
Righty tightie - lefty loosie right?
Which side did ya extract first, the 'loader' sider or?

Is the impact the only way to spin it out? Have one, but just haven't whipped it out yet.

muchas gracias,
shanon

I dropped the big lump on the bench, grabbed the input flange in my left hand, stuck the impact on the center bolt with my right, and "rrrrrp!"

Yes. normal ccw off/cw on threads, both sides. I think I pulled the loader side first because I'm a righty, so that comes naturally. The flanges don't co-mingle inside the case, so I don't think it matters if you start linkes or recht.

If you're a big, manly man with a bear-like grip, you could probably hold the input shaft with one hand and loosen the bolt with a ratchet and socket. If you're a big, manly man with a vise, you could clamp the input shaft in the vise and have both hands, one for the socket and one for your beer! :p

Back