M30 Euro versus US

I may be high, but AFAIK there's no difference in bore from US to Euro 3.5 blocks. Look up the piston sizes, the base size is 91.97 mm for both. If I'm wrong, someone please correct me.

Also, I think the crank option is to put an S38 crank (i.e., crank from M5 or M5 engine) into an M30 to increase the storke and net 3.7 L.

Finally, $1,000 is too much money for ANY used M30 engine. I almost bought a complete euro e24 with a 100k miles on it for $800 last winter, and that included the L block, a CR 5 speed and a 3:07 LSD.

Surprised to see this kind of questionable info from Ireland Engineering.

It depends on the year of the Euro engine. The early euros (pre 82) were actually not M30's. These were M90 engines based on the M49 racing engine used in the racing CSLs and later int he M1.

This block has 93.4 mm bores and an 84 mm stroke. This is also the same basic block that is used in the S38 M6/M5 engine (only with a DOHC 4 valve head).

The M30 has a 92mm bore an an 86 mm stroke.

It is possible to take this larger bore shorter stroke engine and put an M30 crank in it to increase the stroke, but it is non trivial. With a 2mm difference in stoke, the pistons will have to be shortened. You cna't use M30 pistons because they are too small in Dia, so this conversion is not for the faint of hear. I think this is more or less what Paul Cain did on the 3.8 CSi, although I recall he reground the crank.

S

I'm pretty sure you are right about the S38 crank cause it's the same for the m10 crank switch over to the S14 for an additional 200cc. That's why I asked.

Don't know about the price but the sad reality is probably what you found - you can buy the sum cheaper than the pieces.

This block has 93.4 mm bores and an 84 mm stroke. This is also the same basic block that is used in the S38 M6/M5 engine (only with a DOHC 4 valve head).

The M30 has a 92mm bore an an 86 mm stroke.

Thanks for the schoolin'!

And just to make you all envious.. I have an M90 in my 1980- Euro 635...

It has a torque curve so wide you could land a 747 on it...

;-D

S

Tony, you may not be high, but I'm pretty sure you're mistaken. The L block in Doug's CS has a 93mm bore and it's out of a European car. In fact I that block was the same one used in M5s as well as Euro 535is variants.

Back