M30 short block

echappe

Reaction score
I have a custom machined head so I'm looking for an easier(cheaper) way to freshen my engine which I'm not sure if I'm up to tackling the bottom end as far as rebuild is concerned.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions

x_atlas0

Reaction score
I have a custom machined head so I'm looking for an easier(cheaper) way to freshen my engine which I'm not sure if I'm up to tackling the bottom end as far as rebuild is concerned.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions

The bottom end on these engines are quite stout, often going ~300k miles before a rebuild. Unless you have thrashed the engine, it should be well within spec.

x_atlas0

Reaction score
engine has unknown actual miles, has loud knock and both front and rear seals are leaking

Yikes! Sounds like it has been abused quite a bit.

In regards to your original question, it will be much easier to find a rebuilt 3.5L short block, as that particular displacement combo was used for far longer than the original 3.0L setup. I suppose you could do some part swapping to get a similar displacement with a later block, though, if it is a major concern.

As far as suppliers go, I have unfortunately heard or experienced horror stories with every major BMW engine rebuilder. (Bav Engine, Metric, etc) Prices vary considerably, but they are usually in the 3k (US) range. A better option might be to use someone local that does good work. The M30 short block is fairly standard, so any shop that does rebuilds should be able to do it with little difficulty. Parts are still available from BMW direct.