M30B35-Powered 1973 BMW Bavaria

shoobie33

Reaction score
Hello E3 Members,

Name here is Kevin Winn and I am the guy that bought Shane Cummings Golf Bavaria off BaT last summer. After several conversations with him I'm interested in going to injection on the M30B35 that is currently in the car as I think it will greatly improve the performance, efficiency, and the joy of driving it. Shane suggested that I start with a post here and see what the experts on the forum suggest as I just sold a car so I have some cake to work with.

Thanks in advance for all that can offer advice.

Kevin

duct-tape

Site Donor
Reaction score
Assuming you need the intake, throttle body, linkage, fueling (including pumps), fuel rail & injectors, fuel pressure reg & return line, plus the harness and ECU..
personally, I would find a whole b35 car, like an e32, late e24, or e34. That way I could cannibalize everything without having to buy it piecemeal. Theres plenty that can be found for cheap.
I have heard but can't verify, some folks that use the b35 intake also need to use the smaller brake booster.

Baikallackierung

Reaction score
Think about ECU location. You might want to find a harness with a longer ECU pigtail such as an E30 Motronic 1.3 harness (minor modifications required).

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I may have a few 1.3 ECU, and I definitely have a log style manifold going to the vapor blaster. I’m doing the opposite of you and moving from FI to carbs. I won’t be keeping this stuff.

Still best to find all the B35 stuff at once IMO.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
You don’t want anything from a b35 besides the ecu and harness and AFM
get a log intake from Markos unless it’s a Csi version
A5D965CC-20BF-4294-9533-90B9FCA10761.jpeg

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
He guys....Kevin is a really good guy and want's to take the motor to the next level with the injection, thanks in advance for helping him in any way possible. I was very excited when I found out he would be the next caretaker of my old Golf Bavaria.

He's being pretty modest with his car collection in his moniker, which includes a coupe, but has many more cool vehicles. Cool guy to get to know and very much a car guy. He lives in the Central Coast so kind of limited on local E9 or E3 restorers/mechanics. From what I hear is he is pretty handy himself but any leads on parts or tricks to get the B35 injected properly with the best options in doing so, he is all ears.

Thanks again for welcoming him to the forum!

billpatterson

Site Donor
Reaction score
I may have a few 1.3 ECU, and I definitely have a log style manifold going to the vapor blaster. I’m doing the opposite of you and moving from FI to carbs. I won’t be keeping this stuff.

Still best to find all the B35 stuff at once IMO.

Love it. Weber 32/36s with my B35 swap (from a '91 535i) work great. Super motor and upgrade.

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Kevin is taking it to the next level with injection and it is a '92 from a 535i motor similar to yours. He's going to rebuild the trans w// short shift and I can't wait to see if after it is done. Along with a more suited exhaust as mine was factory new BMW but made for a 2800, so the exhaust he is putting on a little bigger to handle the 3.5L and it's breathing should be greatly improved. It's going to scream. No need for an M-motor.

Well known member here doing the injection so I know I steered him in right direction. I'm almost as excited as Kevin on what he is doing, maybe more! LOL. I knew I sold it to the best caretaker out there. He is on this board now too...That is what is great about this community, everyone helping each other out.

BorgBmw

Reaction score
In Don (SF) we trust. Don did my FI conversion for the M30B35 in my Bav. A before, during, and some after pics. Happy to connect if you want more info @shoobie33.

Attachments

• IMG_4380.jpeg
    IMG_4380.jpeg
    133.2 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_4381.jpeg
    IMG_4381.jpeg
    243.1 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_4379.png
    IMG_4379.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 87
  • View recent photos.jpeg
    View recent photos.jpeg
    372.9 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_4382.jpeg
    IMG_4382.jpeg
    223.5 KB · Views: 85

Barry.b

Reaction score
In Don (SF) we trust. Don did my FI conversion for the M30B35 in my Bav. A before, during, and some after pics. Happy to connect if you want more info @shoobie33.
Hi there
I see you have a nice new radiator also .
Do you know what brand/ type it is ?
My radiator is 50 years old and as the car has been off the road since 1988 and I haven’t had the car running yet, it probably needs a rebuild or maybe a replacement like your one.
Good luck with the conversion Kevin by the way!!

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
I used an aluminum Champion brand for my '69. Works great. I think they're around $250, maybe less.

BorgBmw

Reaction score
Hi there
I see you have a nice new radiator also .
Do you know what brand/ type it is ?
My radiator is 50 years old and as the car has been off the road since 1988 and I haven’t had the car running yet, it probably needs a rebuild or maybe a replacement like your one.
Good luck with the conversion Kevin by the way!!
SF Don sourced that for me as well:)

Barry.b

Reaction score
Okay great
I had intended on having mine re-cored
And there were 2 different companies near me that were the go to for that work.
Both of them retired and closed shop in the last 2 to 3 years so I might be better off just buying a new one.