M30B35

2800cs

Reaction score
Ive found one locally, but before I even start negotiations....Whats involved with the swap?

Motor is complete....harness and DME....out of a 90s e34

I saw a previous post from velocewest. I might be miss interpreting, but from what was said, It seems im pretty much going to have to keep the FI unless I swap heads???

Will my factory accessories still bolt up ?? A/C, P/S, Alt?

I am looking for easy.....well its never easy..... but Im not looking to tear apart the motor or drill and tap new holes into the block/head.

Ideal would be swapping the larger long block, keeping my carbs and Headers with the original accessories.

What is involved depends largely on what you want.

It is very possible to make the B35 run on a carb setup. In order to do that, however, it does require an electric fuel pump, and going back to a dizzy, at least. You will need some time with both engines out of the car to swap parts over.

The factory ancilliaries do bolt up, but you have to take the brackets off the stock engine. (alt bracket, PS bracket, AC, etc) Also, the motor mounts are slightly different.

You will likely have to re-jet for the larger displacement and use better gas to compensate for the 9:1 CR, unless you have the stock 2800CS engine, which does have a 9:1 CR from the factory.

Edit: Saw your post on bimmerforums; I didn't know you were over there too. I can understand why you are jmping on it since you are on the islands, shipping must be killer!

Thanks atlas.

Yes...shipping would be a killer!!

So my intake and header setup will still bolt up...this is probably the biggest factor I was concerned about. Installation of an electric fuel pump for a carb isnt a problem. Setting it up for FI would be much more of a pain.

As I have not owned any other BMWs. Will I need to change the crank pulley? Im guessing the e34 ran a serpentine type belt...and I understand removing and replacing the pulley is somewhat problematic.

Whats involved with swapping in the distributor? The e34 has a crank position sensor....is there even a hole for the dizzy??

Thanks atlas.

Yes...shipping would be a killer!!

So my intake and header setup will still bolt up...this is probably the biggest factor I was concerned about. Installation of an electric fuel pump for a carb isnt a problem. Setting it up for FI would be much more of a pain.

As I have not owned any other BMWs. Will I need to change the crank pulley? Im guessing the e34 ran a serpentine type belt...and I understand removing and replacing the pulley is somewhat problematic.

Whats involved with swapping in the distributor? The e34 has a crank position sensor....is there even a hole for the dizzy??

The intake tract will indeed bolt up without issue. You will need to take the rear coolant port from the CS engine, though, as if I recall right, they made it go to the opposite side after switching to FI.

Since you want to keep the carbs, you will pretty much want to swap everything but the head and block onto the new engine, including upper timing cover, valve cover, intake manifold, and crank pulley. Switching the upper timing covers, in conjunction with a nut that goes on the cam, allows you to use the dizzy on the B35.

Removing the crank pulley is actually really, really easy with the engine out of the car. You don't have to remove the "jesus nut" to get the harmonic balancer and pulley off the old and new engines. Since you are running carbs, you also don't have to worry about the hall effect sensor for crank position. The B35 actually uses a series of V belts, exactly like the original engine.

As a suggestion, since you will have the engine out, it would be a good time to give it a refresher, so new oil and water pumps, new gaskets all around, (aside from head, that one is a bear) and a repaint. Valve adjustment is also a good idea.

Hm... wait a tic. I seem to remember the bimmerforums mod named "Beastmaster" mentioning that he had a friend with a CS that lived in Hawaii... would that be you?

here, actually:
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=368282

ahh yes...I know the beastmaster....Might not be talking about me though. I know of three others...

Thanks!

Thanks,

I should be picking it up next week sometime.

btw...

What was the cam conversion nut for, that I saw in your post.

What was the cam conversion nut for, that I saw in your post.

The cam conversion nut allows the later cams to rotate the distributor. Normally, the B35 cam has an attachment with a pinhole for the rotor to bolt to. This attachment is not compatible with the dizzy. To convert the B35 to use a dizzy, this nut must be put on in place of the atachment at the end of the cam.

The nut itself looks like a very large lug nut with a slot cut out of the top. The slot is where the dizzy's drive lobe goes. The nut's part number is 11311284801, shown as #18 in this diagram:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=5374&mospid=47205&btnr=11_0414&hg=11&fg=25

Hello it's me...

at least I thinks it's me... the rest of Alice in Wonderland I forget.

or is it Moody Blues from Days of Future Passed: "I think I am, therefore I am, I think"

Kay den. Beastmaster is Bryan O, his friend with the CS may as well be me. Not many 2800CS around... yours the white one, Alpina rims, very shiny but with some rust bubbles? If so, we've met. Thought that car was for sale? New owner?

X_Atlas is right on track about the swap work. But why do you want to keep the carbs? The white car has 32/36 webers, doesn't it?

Call me at a reasonable hour, Hawaiian Standard, 732-6770. It just so happens I have an early 735i onsite...

Charlie,

Same owner....cant seen to get rid of it!!! Even for next to nothing!!

Ive thought about keeping the fuel injection...but I kind of rather keep this simple.

Thanks Atlas.

Im sure Ill have questions soon enough after getting the motor.

btw it has 38s and a cam

Back