M635forever

Reaction score
Already got one! :D
gummiblgar024.jpg

gkb

Site Donor
Reaction score
Just curious - is it a big hassle or an enormous hassle

To put this into an e9. I know some have done it.

mandala

Reaction score
and its local to me......

unfortunately or fortuantely i have neither the mechanical aptitude or income to do the conversion. It is probably a good thing that my cs is running well or might hve had to find someway of getting it!
jeff

BlauMitWeiss

Reaction score
....a man of budget....I have an S14 for my 2002.....but not an S38 or M88 for my wifes coupe......not yet

AndyM

Reaction score
Note the auction is for the long block only. The accessories are an additional $1,900.

shanon

Reaction score
----

this could be a 'stupid' question.....but I'm ready & curious, I can take it....

Could you just put carbs on that and ditch all the FI & ECU stuff .... big triple Weber 45s???

are the intake manifold ports completely different shapes?

as I said, I can take it...... :wink:

-shanon

Peter A.

Reaction score
S38

Shanon,
The air intake ports of the S38/M6 cylinder head are similar in shape to those of the M30 head. The problem is the method of bolting the manifolds to the M6 cylinder head. The M6 throttle bodies bolt to the cylinder head via 9 studs in the cylinder head - each of the three throttle bodies has 3 holes for the mouting studs. The Weber manifolds that I have seen are configured for the 12 studs on the M30 head. As if I don't have enough aggravation, I am working on an adaptor plate that would allow the M6 throttle bodies to be mounted to an M30 cylinder head.
Hope this helps,
Peter A

shanon

Reaction score
oh no Barry,

you sound like the Devil showing me that golden fiddle.... :twisted:
no, I'm not ready, but I'd wager that's what you did with your M6.

where (club?) do you run the M6?
love to hear about sometime.
-shanon

Philip Slate

Reaction score
It is possible to have manifolds made that will allow Weber DCOEs to be installed on a twin cam engine. A friend of mine did so for his 4 cylinder M3, which is virtually the same engine as the six, minus two cylinders. Still needed the ECU to fire the ignition as I recall.

LagunaE34M5

Reaction score
see Dec 04 Bimmer mag for a silver E9 with an M88.

in my opinion sounds a little much for the E9 chassis without significant reinforcing and modifying.

blumax

(deceased)
Reaction score
Who done it?

Ping Tsao, MD an eye surgeon and a long time coupster from San Luis Opispo, CA is owner--and possibly the first to do/have this done to an E-9--a local race mechanic and fabricator was the primary for the transplant--was done in about 1990.

first hand from Ping years ago--"the surgery has proven to be a long and difficult procedure--many complications and challenges to overcome"--so contrary to recent and repeated optimistic commentary of some on this message board--it isn't a simple drop in--actually not too unlike the first heart transplant--may be easier today than then but still very challenging to get it right.