M90 build- from the bottom up :-)

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Ok, so here is another opportunity to show how little I know! But with the help of the members here I know everything is going to be alright :)

Ever since I got my blue car put together I wanted it to be faster, or at least able to match the speed of my secretary's KIA so I started looking around for a good block and after finding one out of a 1981 Euro 635 CSI I started the long process of figuring out what to do. I must say that Don helped allot, but I can't remember what he told me so I keep bugging him and will continue to do so.

I brought the block to a shop in San Antonio that was recommended by Terry Sayther, then the shop told me they could not find the pistons, freeze plugs or bearings. I sourced a set of Ross Pistons, and I have to say that Jeff Ireland was really helpful in that everything seemed to fit??

I was not frustrated by the machine shop because I have other people who truly frustrate me but I was "concerned" so Terry was kind enough to drive to San Antonio and get these guys what they needed to put in the pistons and bearings; half of me thinks these guys at the machine shop just enjoyed trying to make me sweat but they soon realized I was too stupid to be worried. When I picked up the block it looked OK, I guess, but not the nice shiny block all pretty like I expected. I was thinking of the old days when it was easier and cheaper to bring your Chevy 350 to the machine shop and pick up a fresh short block a week later.

Anyhow, when I got her home I put her on the stand, cleaned her off, gave her a few coats of the correct color, put in the freeze plugs and started bugging Don again for parts. So far this is where I'm at and I'll need some help already-

To shim or not to shim- someone please chime in. I have a new oil pump chain and, of course, a new crank sprocket. The old sprocket was not too bad coming off but I needed a good puller that could go around the sprocket, not the 3 claw type. I then cleaned up the shaft with VERY fine cloth and put on some assembly lube. And after tapping very lightly to get the new gear lined up and started on the shaft, I used the big nut with some spacers to push the sprocket into place. I did not think it would be a good idea to hammer it on there because it would likely jack up the main bearings.

So, here is progress so far and I would love to get some feedback regarding the oil pump shims. Thanks!
block.jpg
bottom end.jpg
crank sprocket.jpg
oil pan.jpg

Got shims from Pelican parts but they sent two 1mm instead of one 5mm and one 1mm. All the other stuff from RM European, except the cam sprocket which came from BMW. I used the thick shim that came in the car and one of the shiny new ones making sure the holes lined up. Someone had been in there before for some reason-

I know! When I brought a bunch of stuff in to get powder coated that piece snuck in... easily enough fixed though. Do you know where I can get those "c" clips that hold in the tensioner and guide for the timing chain, 2 different sizes, 2 small, one less small? I would rather not use the old ones-plus I lost one of the little ones. Thanks!

Got the front cover on with all the stuff inside (I hope). Note that the tensioner arm has to go inside the little cavity, not towards the center.. ugh
timing cover.jpg
chain guide.jpg

Attachments

• cover on.jpg
    cover on.jpg
    871.1 KB · Views: 103
They used shims at both ends to keep the oil pump from stressing and maybe cracking at the back support. If you check realoem, you can see where the other shim goes. problem, don't know for sure, I have never left them out to see.

I think I will take the pan off and check it, I think the chain is too tight so I'm sure I did something wrong. Better to check it now than have the pump fail on my way to Monterrey next year :)

Back