Maintenance - cheap oil for seasonal oil change

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
After DQ got me motivated, I’m changing the oil in most of my old car’s next week. The oldest oil is in my E9 (7-8 years, about 1000miles), the next oldest is 2.5 years old and 1800miles (XK120). Race get fresh fluids every 4-6 hours. This excludes a British street engine that leaks 1 qt per 500 miles, essentially ensuring the oil in the sump stays fresh. On that motor a yearly filter change seems sufficient.

Anyway, I use Valvoline VR1 20w50 and Brad Penn. Currently the Valvoline is on sale for $3.50/quart, which is about 1/2 off the usual price at my locally owned car parts store (think global, support local).

I have not seen quality motor oil this cheap In more than a decade. Perhaps it’s a related to the recent crash in crude oil prices.

I don’t know the shelf life of motor oil, but I bought a substantial quantity. Even if I become religious with yearly oil changes, I’m good for a while :)

82DEE8CB-C55D-425F-B76A-48EAF1BA8035.pngValvoline

Last edited:

Mot27cars

Site Donor
Reaction score
After DQ got me motivated, I’m changing the oil in most of my old car’s next week. The oldest oil is in my E9 (7-8 years, about 1000miles), the next oldest is 2.5 years old and 1800miles (XK120). Race get fresh fluids every 4-6 hours. This excludes a British street engine that leaks 1 qt per 500 miles, essentially ensuring the oil in the sump stays fresh. On that motor a yearly filter change seems sufficient.

Anyway, I use Valvoline VR1 20w50 and Brad Penn. Currently the Valvoline is on sale for $3.50/quart, which is about 1/2 off the usual price at my locally owned car parts store (think global, support local).

I have not seen quality motor oil this cheap In more than a decade. Perhaps it’s a related to the recent crash in crude oil prices.

I don’t know the shelf life of motor oil, but I bought a substantial quantity. Even if I become religious with yearly oil changes, I’m good for a while :)

View attachment 102853Valvoline
That’s cheap! 15 quarts at 3.48 a quart!

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Like I said, maybe it’s the new normal, but I stocked up just in case it’s an anomaly due to less driving and temporarily lower demand for 20w50

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Shelf life of oil..................it starts out at a few million years old (non-synthetic) so I think it's ok.

Now that I have given you a hard time, you need to let me know where you go t the oil since local to you is local to me.

BTW: Costco makes a 0-40 synthetic oil that is cheap, good for our newer bimmers, anyone try it?

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Cheap Valvoline is from Amazon. I bought 45 quarts.

I normally go to a small shop on my way to KTR in Ayer MA, not very local to you. My second go-2 place is AdvanceAutoparts because the manager always gives me 20% off.

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
EDIT: Doh! Just realized that's what you posted. Couldn't make it out on my phone screen...

I can get that price point only on Amazon by buying 3 jugs of 5 Qts., which is about what I need every season.
1601307463656.png

tmh

Reaction score
Liqui Moly makes very well regared quality oil in various viscosities and is available at reasonable prices. I use it in all my cars and I have never seen anything but praise for it.