Measurement needed on rear bumper bracket

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have a set of rear bumpers which need to be brought back in shape. I believe they are somewhat out of shape.

I wonder if anyone who has a set that is in good shape could measure the "height" of the bumper on either side of the bracket. See photo for what I am talking about.

Thank you very much.

Bo

Attachments

• rear bumper bracket.jpg
    rear bumper bracket.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 139
I have the same issue and would be curious to hear how you're planning to fix it. I haven't dared in case I crack the already rusty welds.

I was assuming that the dimension at the point right in the middle of the bumper, where the two halves join, will give you the answer. I think the bumper only gets wider vertically on impact, where the bracket meets the car body and gets squashed horizontally. If that makes sense !

I think the bumper only gets wider vertically on impact, where the bracket meets the car body and gets squashed horizontally. If that makes sense !

That would make sense. But mine does not have any sign of having been hit at any point. However it still looks like it is way too wide there.

Maybe if someone could slide a think ruler between the bumper and the rear body panel for a measurement?

Thank you.

95mm? Very interesting. Thank you very much Chris.

So I am not as far off as I thought. Mine are about 97 on one side and 100 on the other.

I assume this is OD, right?

Are you getting the same 95 in the center where both halves meet?

Bo

Yes, OD but my bumpers are mounted and the 73 has a rubber cover so can't measure in center. Left was 95mm, right was 97mm and you can't tell the difference so choose one nor the other.

This swelling around the brackets is the only evidence really of my car ever having a knock, apart from a slight twist in the metal around the holes at each side where the fasteners go, where the bumper was just slightly pushed back. You wouldn't even notice when the bumpers are on the car, it's just because I was doing a bit of a refurb on them I noticed. I guess it's comforting to see how they must absorb the impact and protect the body work.

Back