Mechanic needed in San Francisco

leanit

Reaction score
Hi all. Sorry to make my first post a plea for help.

I've got a lovely 1972 CSi that might just be sold if I can slap a good tune on it. Who's the best in SF at these fuelie E9's? It hasn't been run much, so it just needs a bit of adjusting to ensure an optimal test drive. I could stray out of the City for a good shop too ... but my drop-off options are easier in town.

Again, I hate to beg, but I'm under a bit of time crunch.

Thanks in advance,
- Matt
[email protected]

I've heard good things about Pheadrus (Marina/Van Ness area).
When I went in to check it out one day, they had three nice coupes in being serviced.

So it looks like they are familiar with them.

HTH
-shanon

I was curious about that place too. Let me know how it works out. Anybody use Ottowerks before? Rated well on yelp, and I think owner has a CSL.

Terry L. led me to JP in San Rafael (too bad not closer), but he really knows his vintage bimmers and was fun to chat with. A bit of a drive, so probably won't work for your situation. Shop is called a1imports.

But PLEASE, bump this thread and let us know how Phaedrus is!

Thanks!
-Curtis

I was hoping you'd say that. I could stumble to work from there. Thanks!

- Matt

I have known (and once or twice used) Phaedrus for over 20 years. They do have the experience and knowledge re: older BMWs. But, be prepared for major attitdue and dollars. JP in San Rafael, from what I have heard, is very good and Berkeley Motor Works has a good reputation, too. In the City, there is Phaedrus and no one else, really, and they know it.

That is not to say they shouldn't be used, just go in with eyes open and report back, because if things have gotten better, I'd like to know.....

shops in the bay area

I've used A1 imports for a number of years and so has a number of bay area 2002 owners. I can say he is honest and knowledgeable of vintage vehicles. He definitely takes you the time of day without attitude.

terry

I've chatted with A1 over the phone twice now, and I like their style. It's worth it to me to get the car over there for the peace of mind of knowing that I won't be jerked around.

Somebody else can report on the Phaedrus experiment!

- Matt

A1 is definitely good!

Hi, gang. Follow-up report here.

JP at A1 in San Rafael laid hands on my suspiciously smoky 1972 CSi last month and found it to be in top condition apart from a totally incontinent injector in the #4 hole. Swapped that out for a new one, timed it, and put a generally lovely tune on all the bits that can be adjusted, and now it runs like a top. Well, a fast top, that gets much better mileage, and looks better than most tops.

Much pleased the the gang at A1. I hate to sell this car, but I just don't have the room to house it.

Thanks, JP!

- Matt

Back