mercedes 280 se

Sooner

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Very off topic< but I just bought a 1970 Mercedes 280 SE, with 24000 original miles! Years ago I had a 72 280 SE 4.5 and loved the cruiser. I need to replace the head gasket< does anyone know where I can get sy
tep by step instructions?
TIA

OCCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
Congrats, I love that body and have had two myself. You can try Millers Mercedes in fountain valley California. They have an online store and very helpful staff. They helped me with my 450sl headgasket.

pamp

Reaction score
Taxi Cab

For sure love the W123. 280 SE the best. Twin cam six. A bit of a fuel hog but fast and tough as it gets...

Fjord3.0

Reaction score
You can get all your oem mercedes parts from mercedes benz classic center in southern california. they will even give you a data card for free if you give them the vin. takes 1 day to get a data card emailed. They have every part from trim to body parts to motor parts with weekly shipments from germany. Good luck with your car. I have a 1968 300sel 6.3 blk/blk with m100 motor. They are truly great sedans.

TodB

Reaction score
mb

My dream car is to own a nice 71 280se vert.

with the 3.5 of course, darkishblue with the light brown leather interior preferably.With ya.

pamp

Reaction score
W123 280 se

The car I had was dark blue with tan interior. When my daughter turned 16 I put her in my old W123 300 D. Puke beige in color. This seemed to be an embarrassment for her as her friends had slammed Hondas and the like. One of my co-workers had a 280 for sale at a good price. I foolishly sold the diesel to another friend and picked up the 280 and did a minor restore as well as chrome fender lips, tires , and the like to add some "bling"
Man, that kid had many off road excursions and I was doing repair on suspension bits way too often...picked all the bone yards clean for a 100 mile radius. She finally ditched it so hard as to bend the frame so bad that an alignment was impossible. She sold the car to a young friend who was so very proud of that car...when I next saw it the tires were hashed and I just had to tell him about the expense needed to straighten the frame to make the car safe again. My daughter is now 27 and she tells me "ya know Dad, I kindda resented you putting in that car, but for sure it saved my life" Universal taxi cab, the W123. Strong and safe as nearly no other cars. Three times as strong as any affordable BMW. All parts are "heavy duty"
Before she left for college I put her in a 245 Volvo wagon, packed her up. For kids, to me, no choice at all...either a W123 or the Volvo wagon. The wagon the better choice as it is a very efficient hauler for the various moves they make while becoming adults.
Just my too sense (sic...sic)

Last edited:

x_atlas0

Reaction score
I do like the older mercs, but for now, I've got my hands full with the E9. Eventually, I'd like a W124 500E or E60 AMG, if I get the big bucks. That way, I'll have the competing cars from Merc and BMW, the E34 540 and the W124 500E.

TodB

Reaction score
volvo

You sound like a really nice dad putting your daughter in a Merc! :-D

I put her in a 245 Volvo wagon...

My sons shared a 1993 volvo 240 purchased w/165K+ miles, the last year of the 240 and it had ABS brakes and an airbag. Big, slow, safe and perfect for 16 year old boys "learning to drive" whatever that means. That was in 2003. Sold the car to a friend of mine a couple of years back who is using it for his sons snow.

pamp

Reaction score
W126

My daily driver is still going strong. 1984 300 SD. 30 mpg highway...bought for $3500 some twelve years ago with 80,000 miles on the clock and have since put close to 250,000 more on her myself. Talk about bang for the buck!...
000_0284.jpg

Dirk

Reaction score
Very off topic< but I just bought a 1970 Mercedes 280 SE, with 24000 original miles! Years ago I had a 72 280 SE 4.5 and loved the cruiser. I need to replace the head gasket< does anyone know where I can get sy
tep by step instructions?
TIA

Don't want to be rude, but don't you think you would get more relevant replies to your question at one of the MB forums ?

Sooner

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Replies

I have had more replies here than the mercedes forum, and appreciate all of the info I have received.

x_atlas0

Reaction score
Don't want to be rude, but don't you think you would get more relevant replies to your question at one of the MB forums ?

Most of the Merc forums I have read contain very little useful wrenching info, and have very low participation overall. It seems like BMW owners are far more likely to take a spanner to their cars than Merc owners.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
With the exception of the Mercedes Ponton group in Yahoo, lots of do-it-yourselfers there! And perhaps the W123 crowd, very passionate.

Dirk

Reaction score
I believe Sooner is looking for information on the W108 and not the W116.

The 280SE has the same engine as the 280SL in the W113 (Pagode). The www.sl113.org has quite an active forum. Chris already mentioned the Ponton group and then there is the 190 SL Group with many knowledgable enthusiasts and do-it-yourselfers.

hans3

Site Donor
Reaction score
But his 4.5 is the D-jetronic V-8 (the M117 engine), same architecture as those found in the W116s. Early had D-jet, late had K-CIS.