Metal trim bits for OEM wood steering wheel

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I think I can reproduce those metal trim bits for the wood steering wheel that came on some of our cars. Over the years it seems the bits on the front part (facing the driver) fall off and become lost.
If I can get these made at a reasonable cost, does anyone but me want them?

YES - I have one good one for the front but all three of those on the back side are gone.

I was planning on trying to find one rear one, then having both of them made via the printing procedure. Keep me in the loop if you have a good economical way to reproduce them.

PS: The 'front one' on my wheel is easily removed, so I'd be glad to supply it for a pattern.

Last edited:
Stan,

These would be great to remake. As you know the front and back are different as are the ones on the CSi Sport wheels which should be remade as well.

Chris

I'm interested in fronts and backs as I have 2 steering wheels in need of fronts and 1 in need of backs.

Interested as well

if it comes to production; I'm interested as well.

I purchased 2 wooden steering wheels just to get enough front and back parts. Let me check how many I need to complete the second steering wheel.

If you need samples I can lend them, as I have both front and back parts separated from the steering wheel.

Erik.

Details please

I've got a stock 2800CS steering wheel that looks complete, so I'm guessing I don't need the missing pieces of which you speak.
But for my education, can you post a photo of these pieces so I'll be sure not to loose them?

Thanks,

Ian

chrome bits of wooden steering wheel

I think it's these parts:

pic 1-2
on the left are 2 rears, a bit wider at ~10 mm.
on the right are 3 fronts, they are slightly narrower (~6 mm)

From the 2 wooden steering wheels that I have I only obtained shiny chromed metal parts. They are too heavy to be plastic, and they are showing chrome pitting.

now I am thinking that there are 2 distinct versions;
- the ones on my pictures came of a wooden wheel, they don't carry a partnumber, nor do i know it.
- I have found a picture of these parts: appearently 32331105670. See pic 3, on the bottom I pasted mine as ref in same orientation as best as I could. They appear to be visually different from what I have; they are greyisch, mine are bright chrome. Also i'm not sure if the curves are exactly alike; the front one seems to be morre straight. On the plastic bag is written "BMW NK- Tilux" and "lenkrad", (E10 & steering wheel)

Could it be that the chrome bits for the E9 are unique to the E9? If so, we need to take care not to mix them up.

Attachments

• e9 wood steering wheel chrome bits row with 2 are rear parts row of 3 is front part.jpg
    e9 wood steering wheel chrome bits row with 2 are rear parts row of 3 is front part.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 169
  • e9 wood steering wheel chrome bits row with 2 are rear parts row of 3 is front part-01.jpg
    e9 wood steering wheel chrome bits row with 2 are rear parts row of 3 is front part-01.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 158
  • 32331109670 vs my Wooden steering wheel chrome part.jpg
    32331109670 vs my Wooden steering wheel chrome part.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:
Shiny bits

Good to see that all of mine are present. I pulled up that part number on realoem.com and it looks like the same parts are used for a number of cars.
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...1969_E9_BMW_2800CS&diagId=32_1014#32331105670

Cover
Part 32331105670 was found on the following vehicles:
1500-2000CS   (09/1966 — 08/1971)
2.5CS-3.0CSL   (08/1969 — 12/1974)
2500-3.3Li   (01/1969 — 07/1971)

I'm sure they are made of zinc, or 'pot metal' which does tend to show chrome pitting after a while. Parts can be stripped, repaired and then re-chromed, but that could be pricey for such a small part.

Since they are so small, it probably would be fairly easy to reproduce them, though the setup and creation of a mold would be time consuming. It sounds like there is some demand for them, but I'm guessing not a lot as people seem to like replacing their steering wheels. The wooden one are certainly quite large.

Ian

Attachments

• Steering wheel cover bits.jpg
    Steering wheel cover bits.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 139
I am not sure what process my nephew will use. Sometimes he can cut these on a CNC machine from steel or billet aluminum. I will report back when I know more.

I no longer need these, as I bought from the guy selling on ebay. Stan, I can 'loan' a perfect piece if needed in order to get this project started.

Here are few pictures of my wooden steering wheel which will be restored soon.
Last photo is not related. I ha emit figured how to delete a photo once I post it by mistake...

Attachments

• IMG_0698.JPG
    IMG_0698.JPG
    210.8 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_0700.JPG
    IMG_0700.JPG
    147.1 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_0701.JPG
    IMG_0701.JPG
    199.7 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_0818.PNG
    IMG_0818.PNG