Michelin TRX tyres

pmansson

Reaction score
Anybody got the rims for them and using the proprietary Michelin TRX tyres.
One of my cars came with that setup but the tyres are 10 years old and need replacing.
The rims were probably an alternative for the early 5 series.

Bill Riblett

(deceased)
Reaction score
Here in the US, TRXs came on: 85-88 E28 535s, 85-89 E24 635s and 85-87 735s.

They were always expensive and had a reputation for poor wet weather performance. I had them on my 86 635 for several years and thought that they were ok, but that there were other much better tires if one switched wheels. Replacement tires are now expensive enough that for most cars that had them it is cheaper to buy new 15" or 16" wheels and tires than to buy just a set of TRXs.

I have them on my E9 waiting for restoration and they are great for that as they don't lose air! I think they actually look pretty good on E9s, for what that is worth.

Sooner

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Rims and tires

I have a set of trx rims off an M6, with 2 good tires if you are interested. I have no use for them.

G-Man

Reaction score
TRX wheels make good garden hose reels IMHO. Have you priced TRX tires lately? When you find them, hold on to something before you faint after they tell you the price. Sticker shock is an understatement. I recommend that you ditch the TRX wheels and go with standard 14" or 15" rims. Remember that TRX tire technology is now over 20 years old. If the rims are going on your early 5, 6, or 7 series, go to your local auto wrecking yard and snag a set of standard rims for cheap. After you buy new tires for the rims, your pocketbook will thank you. Just my .02 cents worth.

G-Man

gkb

Site Donor
Reaction score
TRX tyres

Ditto - Coker sells them for $300-$400 a corner. Now the new ones do have a modern rubber compound that is better but this is a relative term. The old TRXs were dangerous in the rain and suicidal in any snow.

My 88 M6 has PS2s - very nice. My 1987 635 has Micheline Pilot Sport PS A/S. The old TRXs are on the shelf because I cannot decide between using them for a hose reel or a coffee table.

Another great BMW idea - metric tires. The latest - run flats.

pmansson

Reaction score
OK,
so even if we remove high price from the equation, the general opinion is that they are mediocre from a driving point of view...???

On a Swedish BMW forum people seem to like them for their roadholding qualities as well as being less noisy than modern tyres. Everyone agrees on their outrageous price. They are however close to my favourite Michelin XWX 205/70 VR 14, pricewise.

Personally I like the look of them. They are not too far off the 16" wheels with 50 and 55 profile tyres. Slightly higher profile.

I´ll think about it for a few days......

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score
Don't even contemplate using TRX tires in the wet as they are DANGEROUS. Spun a full 360 on 2 separate occasion on my 415mm TRX equipped M6 many years ago. Luckily, I'm happy to be alive and not crippled as both times, the car miraculously managed not to hit anything or anyone.