Mirrors

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
OK Guys, here is another one...

Thanks for the information about mirror removal! I got that little flap open and easily removed the mirrors. What is the consensus out there? Flag or trapezoid style for my '73 CS?

Also, when I removed the mirrors I was left with the grey metal piece onto which the mirror is mounted.
http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii6/ClassicCoupe/DSCN3221.jpg
I hesitate to remove that piece because I cant see behind it. Is there a nut behind that screw???

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
in my assembly, no problem to remove and clean and refresh that piece, there is a nut inside but supported somehow

i repeat, that is my car, but

do the following: undo both a little, and chek if there is play, you will deduce !

jmackro

Reaction score
Those traces of black rubber or plastic visible behind the metal piece, in the vicinity of the screw holes look like anchors to me. If you remove the metal pieces, you will probably need new anchors. This isn't a suggestion not to remove the screws - any autoparts store should carry those things.

DSCN3221.jpg

Last edited:

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Stan,

Almost all U.S. `73 coupes I have seen have the flag mirrors. Yours is June `73 and mine is May and mine came with flags. The 2002 in `73 seem to have the trapezoid mirrors, go figure. Both look good, I don't think anyone will give you a hard time.

bimmerboy73

Reaction score
i have a 73 that had a flag style mirror (drivers side only). I converted to the trapezoidal and added one to the passenger side. no regrets. I think both look good but for me the contour of the trapezoid and smaller dimension complimented the coupe a little better. From a functional perspective, the flag style offers a much larger image and wider FOV.