Moderating, Free Speach, continued

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Again the moderators are deleting my posts

Looks like they do not like freedom of speech and opinions

20241002_195458.jpg

I want my comment back, you are noone to say if the comment is needed or not !!!

Do not touch my posts !!!

Last edited:
Our moderators do an excellent job, free of charge, keeping things, well, moderate. I have had a couple of posts deleted over the years. And yes, I too get carried away in the moment. My sense of outrage or anger does overcome me. When I go back and see my deleted post in the context of the discussion I am relieved/glad they did not see the light of the screen.

The same is even more true of some of my hastily composed emails as my gore rises and my sense of right and wrong become twisted, happens to the best of us.

Steve

(continued from above) And how many of us have wished there was a moderator there to keep us from pressing the sent button? That email is out there, done, over.

Again the moderators are deleting my posts

View attachment 190798

I want my comment back, you are noone to say if the comment is needed or not !!!

Do not touch my posts !!!
Okay Jesus, I'll restore your post, but in the future, if people respond to one of your posts and you think it's offensive or a personal attack or unwanted, it stays. Consider it freedom of speech.

good, lets follow the ball; so you make it official:

1727938663717.png

The moderator is equating two things that are not comparable:

On the one hand, providing more information about the true state of repair of a vehicle that has been put up for sale without photos, without details, saying that it has been correctly restored (which is proven not to be true); this information is intended for potential buyers to know more about the vehicle, since the seller has not provided such information.

And on the other hand, future insults or personal attacks on a member of this forum said to be freedom of speech.

Well, I already have clear what I suspected, the moral character of the moderator is clear, there is a clear malicious intent against me, which I denounce publicly.

On the one hand, providing more information about the true state of repair of a vehicle that has been put up for sale without photos, without details, saying that it has been correctly restored (which is proven not to be true); this information is intended for potential buyers to know more about the vehicle, since the seller has not provided such information
I guess you didn't notice that your post with the link to his build remains. Does that not show all the info you're concerned about?

Can't have it both ways. If you want freedom of speech everyone else gets it too.
Well, I already have clear what I suspected, the moral character of the moderator is clear, there is a clear malicious intent against me, which I denounce publicly.
Everyone is treated the same but it's up to each individual to see it that way. Sorry you feel that way Jesus, you're going to view things the way you see them and I accept that, but the rest of the members deserve my time spent on more constructive things.

I am a big advocate of free speech and hate government/authoritarian censorship, but in the case of this forum being Dan’s baby, he sets the rules. I don’t see any statement regarding the guarantee of speech freedom as part of membership. He’s usually quite accepting of boundary-pushing opinions and salty language from all of us, but when he sees fit to cut it off then so be it. I do appreciate the opportunity to publicly appeal and his willingness to reconsider/compromise as done here, after that we should accept his decision and move on.

This is not a free speech zone - we are visitors here and we each need to abide by the behavioral norms of the group. For those who refuse to abide by the rules, there needs to be enforcement.

In considering whether post deletion is an appropriate response to a member’s behavior, it is important to consider the past behavior of the particular member in question.

As someone who has been subjected to petty insults from DeQ in response to substantive posts (see here: https://e9coupe.com/forum/threads/e3-carbs-in-an-e9.46395/post-409204 and here: https://e9coupe.com/forum/threads/diy-heat-resistance-plate-exhaust-pipe-front.46421/post-409328), I tend to think allowing DeQ to continue to pollute the forum is not a good alternative.

And for those who believe the freedom of individual members is paramount, recall that it was not so long ago that one of the most valuable members of this forum resigned as a moderator and drastically reduced his participation because of members like DeQ who think that they should be able to say and do what they wish here. That is where agreeing with the premise of this thread leads.

DeQ believes he does not need to follow the moderator’s view as to the behavioral norms of the forum.

Therefore, moderators are left with a stark choice - allow DeQ to do what he likes and watch membership dwindle as other members follow @HBChris out the door, or find a more drastic mechanism, like post deletion, to force DeQ to change.

Back