Molex pin extractor?

Honolulu

Reaction score
Gents: My combo turn/wiper/washer switch functions poorly, and I have tried to adjust the position to no avail. There is usually no cancel action on a right turn. Not an earthshaker but...

I have a replacement wiper/washer/turn signal from a E3(?). Lo and behold, the pins in the connector are arranged differently. Apparently I need a Molex pin extractor to remove the male pins from the connector, in order to put 'em the right configuration.

Apparently my '73 uses p/n 1355284815721 and the maybe-replacement is very similar, ends with ...02. Can anyone confirm this substitution? I have checked continuity, and I think I can rearrange the pins correctly.

Radio Shack no longer carries nor lists the tool I'm told they once had. They do have the male and female pins, and from the product info the male pin diameter is 0.091. Looks right, at a little less than a tenth of an inch, but I could be wrong.

So... other than getting one of these somewhat rare tools, is there another way to remove the pins from the connector? Basically I need a small diameter metal tube that's a close fit.

TIA
Charlie

Love to know what you find with this.................I was looking for the exact same tool myself recently. I've heard they're available, but I've not found a source yet.

You really need the tool. I don't know what size you need, but there's a similar tool for the Weatherpak connectors used in GM cars that works for some of the Molex connectors. You can usually find it at Kragan or Pep Boys. If that doesn't work, try Digi-Key. They have several different sizes:

http://rocky.digikey.com/WebLib/Molex/Web Photos/11-03-0002.jpg

Their catalog will keep you busy for a few days, too.

There are several manufacturers and sizes of this type of connector. They all look very similar.

First, closely inspect the rear (wire side) of the connector to determine if it is of Molex manufacture.

If it is a Molex connector there will be along with the pin numbers an MX molded into the plastic. Look closely, these markings are very hard to see.

Next, determine the pin size. The most likely are .093 and .062 (inches)

Rather than buy the Molex pin extractors (HT2038 for .093 or HT2285 for .062), I would try to fabricate a tool.

For .093, you could cut a piece of .008 steel shim stock .400 x 1 in. and form it around the shank of a 1/8 in. drill bit.

Similarly, for .062 use .007 shim stock .290 x 1 in. and a 1/16 drill bit.

Tom

well here's what I did

I shook the tree with several electronics and computer stores, came up blank. The .093 tool was too big/loose, the .061 tool too tight and didn't slip over the pin far enough.

At the suggestion of the computer store guy, I went looking for my hemostat. The other uses of this tool certainly dated us both.

The gdam 'stat had gone missing, probably since the last time my garage was ripped off. I grabbe the needle nose pliers, and though it looked like each pin had two barbs, turns out each has only one, and with surprisingly little persuasion, I slipped out each pin in turn. Happiness.

I reinstalled the pins in the correct order/location and am about to install and test. If I screwed up, you'll hear, no make that read, about it.

I don't believe I could form shim stock around a drill bit - the radius is just too small. Anyway, even at 5 to 8 bucks, I'm glad I used what I had. Although I am susceptible to tool-freak-ness, since 1970 when I started working on my Bug, this is about the only time I've ever wanted that particular tool.

Charlie

Back