Mono radio output to stereo

tdgray

Reaction score
You can run the wire straight to two speakers…just add wires… it’s just never going to be stereo though… just mono out of two speakers. Same if you throw it through an amp.

JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Be aware of ohms of the speakers you’re wiring up. I believe vintage Blaupunkt mono output is 8 ohms. Speakers with higher ohms will not work well. In my 2002 I wired two 4 ohm speakers in series to a mono Baupunkt Frankfurt. Works fine. When wiring in series the ohms are added together, wiring in parallel divide their ohm value.

IMG_0279.png

Last edited:

Krzysztof

Site Donor
Reaction score
IF you would like to have more impact on the sound and also using more than two speakers there are amplifiers (boosters) which are taking signels from the speaker outputs and transferring it to 2...4 or more channels.

The good thing is you can modify some (or a lot - depending on model) or parameters (badwidth/equalizer, fader control, L/R, ...) on the booster. The newest can be connected to PC for more options and can also providing other audio sourced into the speakers (e.g. bluetooth) your old mono radio will never be able to.

So plenty of options but the simple is as provided above (speaker connection - keeping total impedance of the speakers in range of the radio amplifier).

Note that such connection might not satisfy you. A lot depend also on speaker quality, impedance, etc.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I have a mono radio ( older blaupunkt ) that I want to run into an amp to two speakers Any suggestions?

Thanks, Rick
I did exactly that.

As mentioned very careful with impedance

You can link a fader that will help you balancing front and rear
If interested send PM and I will explain details

Regards

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
If the amp is stereo, you run the radio output to both amp inputs (L and R). This connection is in parallel, but the impedance arguments do not apply as the amp input is high impedance. The parallel wiring should be symmetrical, namely the parallel wires should use the same polarity at the amplifier input. The amp output has two sets of outputs (L and R), and each is wired to its own speaker.

If the amp is mono, then the radio output connects to the amp input, and two sets of wires go to the speakers. Here you can consider the parallel vs. serial connections based on matching the amp output impedance to the speaker impedance.

If you can choose the amp, go with stereo so you can balance the volume across speakers based on distance to each speaker.