More on lowering the suspension...

IS3FIFTY

Reaction score
How easy is it to change the springs yourself?
What tool do you use to compress them?
The back seems straightforward. What are the steps for the front?
Thanks!

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have done this on a 2002 and just last week on the NK. Not too difficult but also subject to peril and can be messy. The first time takes a lot longer until you get it figured out.

The easiest is probably to remove the three wired bolts under the ball joint (17mm) after disconnecting the sway bar and tie rod end. You need to raise the control arm to get to the third bolt with a box end wrench. Remove caliper (19mm) and hang it to the side without disconnecting brake lines. Then remove three strut bearing bolts and drop out the strut. You need a spring compressor to remove the strut bearing, once clamped down so bearing moves, removes the large nut. A very strong air gun is required! Don't use an impact hammer like I did and unscrew the inside strut piston. Or make a tool with a deep socket with a bar welded to it so Allen screw is available in the center. I took my strut to a mechanic friend and he removed the nut (several times, I put it back together without the plastic sleeve for the strut!).

Or you can remove inner control arm bolt and drop control arm without removing ball joint after sliding it off the tension strut, both have castle nuts with cotter pins.

Rear is easier but remove sway bars, etc. and shock. I raised the control arm first, put spring compressors on them and then lowered control arm. Be sure spring compressors are very robust! Hope this helps.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
+1 on what Chris says, the peril is compression of the springs, if you do this yourself make sure the compressor tool is good quality, or take the struts to a shop and have them remove the springs. It's nerve wracking to work near the compressed spring, it holds a lot of energy. The process otherwise is not difficult and I took the opportunity to clean, paint, and waxoil up in there while I had the access. Also clean and paint the struts themselves. Also I fabbed a tool like Chris mentions:

IMG-20111210-00133.jpg

Cornishman

Site Donor
Reaction score
Top Bearing UK

I am currently on a front axle /suspension steering rebuild campaign.
I have pulled off my front struts and found that the top bearing on one side has heaps of play in it, so needs repair and whilst I am at it should do both sides. These parts are at W&N for $112 each, so I am keen to find either a way to repair them or buy them cheaper. The local GAZ shocks place does them for other BMWs but not an E9 and does not know which may be compatible. Any advice?
If I go for a replacement has anyone suggestions on if it is worth getting one that adjusts chamber and or castor angle? My car is for road use only and on standard wheels and tyres, so never really driven fast and really hard.
The alloy spacer at the top of the strut seems to have partly disolved. Many members suggest removing them to slightly lower the car, if I do this does anything need to be fitted in the gap eg piece of rubber?
Currently struggling with dismantling the large nut at the top of the strut, see down the email trail, and also the large tie rod rubbers that fit into the front of the front axle. I guess I will be building special tools, any advice where to get the components for these tools in the UK?
Thanks for any help
C

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
These bearings can list for $200 so that sounds like a bargain, get 'em. A fixed camber plate helps to clear the fender lip and is recommended along with removing spacers. You can remove the nut with a strong air hammer, don't use a weaker hammer-drill.

Cornishman

Site Donor
Reaction score
What size is the large nut on top of the strut

I am away from home at a show where there are plenty of tool stands, however none can sell me a deep reach socket with external drive that is needed to undo the large nut at top of the strut, so I will have to modify one as others have shown below. Can anyone tell me what size nut it is? I guess that it is 27mm?

Chris
Thanks for your message a few days ago.

Best wishes
C

Cornishman

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thank you

I was at a show in the West Country so bought a 27mm air tool socket and got a local friend to machine two flats for an inch and quarter open ended to fit. Later this week and I'll try to take the strut apart, but I did a quick check and it fits, so thank you.
Best wishes C