more questions about springs

jamesr

Reaction score
i'm still having problems sorting out springs for my CSL.

I spoke to someone at munich legends ( i think it was the bloke dave or malc suggested ) and he advised me to stick with the standard springs and lower the front by removing one coil from each spring? Has anyone on the board ever done this? Does it make a difference whether you remove it from the top or the bottom?

The reason behind this he said, was due to the fact that the roads are so bad in the UK that using lowering springs can damage your suspension and make for a very uncomfortable ride. He reckoned that he'd done it to 3 of his own e9's with good results.

My other option is to go with the lowering springs from jaymic.

http://www.jaymic.com/shop/parts_CS_products.asp?grp=CSSP&page=6

does anyone run these? I have bilstein HD's and 16" alpina's and i was wondering whether i'd need to make any mods to the body work to prevent contact?

cheers

I'd advise against cutting coil springs, especially OE CSL ones. You could obviously have a new set rewound, but it wouldn't be cheap. I saved my original springs for my CSL and installed a set of H&B springs. The ride is much stiffer than stock, which is sometimes nice and sometimes not so nice. I can't advise you as to a source for springs in the UK, but the commonly used aftermarket springs here in the US normally do require rolling the fender lips to prevent body damage when 16 wheels are fitted.

cheers TJ.

I think it's time to stop procrastinating and just go for it. As painful as is it will be to spend even more money if i get it wrong, at least i'll be able to get my car back and drive it to make that decision

Back