Motor Oil

cdk2921

Reaction score
Looking at various types of motor oils today and got me thinking. What kind of motor oil do you guys use or recommend. Would 10W 40 be the best bet for normal city, non aggressive driving?

Oel

Well the factory brochure will tell you... what do you mean, you don't have one? Somebody point him to the site where the pdf files are posted.

Your oil viscosity will depend on your local temperature. For a straight weight oil per factory recommendations, you'll use 40 wt in summer, 30 otherwise. But such oils are yesterday's technology.

For a modern multi-vis, perhaps 20W-50 or 20W-40... the list will surely chime in. As long as your engine does not leak, you can use partial or full synthetic oil, much better and more expensive. Single-vis oil might cost a buck a quart, synthetic probably 5 times as much.

Oil change interval is another story... 3,000 miles for the non-synthetic straight-weight, and 5,000 to 7,000 miles for synthetic. But here there is no common ground and I'm not going into that, not being an oil freak.

Per the manual....

20w-50 would suit your coupe pretty much year round. I am running Castrol GTX 20w-50 here in NJ, and it's been around 40ish degrees in the mornings, and she bogs just a touch when starting up. Drive her easy till warmed up, and she's good to go. Might just switch to 10w-40 if this dry season lasts, though. Can't believe I'm driving the coupe in January!

Back