muffler'tail pipe system?

psychrunner

Reaction score
The resto shop is at a point of replacing my muffler(s). We are considering having a stainless system instead of the OEM system. What do you all think about this? I also will have the middle muffler (resonator?) taken out and run a straight pipe there. Are there any disadvantages to not having the OEM system? Anything I can do while this is being done to enhance performance?
Thanks
Randy

TodB

Reaction score
exhaust

Removing the longer muffler (the front one) is not a problem but it will be noticeably louder. I like the sound of mine.

psychrunner

Reaction score
I was actually planning to have them keep the front muffler and also the rear and have it as much like the original (with exception of the resonator) as possible. Will they have a problem replicating this?
Thanks
Randy

velocewest

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The rear muffler is sort of an odd configuration in the context of modern cars, as it is a long, round muffler. That might be tough to find in an off-the-shelf SS variant. The closest match I've seen in format are mufflers for 80's US pickups, which aren't much of a market for the SS guys. That's why most people who want SS buy from a supplier of OEM-style like W&N.

Exhaust is an area where I don't even pretend to care about originality; the rear muffler on my car was replaced with a straight-through spec'd as a Camaro resonator, and I'm planning to replace the burned out front resonator with a pair of long, slender straight-through's mounted parallel. It sounds like a Jag XK, and I don't see a thing wrong with that!

I get the attraction of SS, but -- the original factory rear muffler lasted 30 years and the resonator lasted 36. I'll be lucky if I live that much longer, so the next owner can pony up for the SS system... 8)