my car sounds like a truck !

bossrobot

Site Donor
Reaction score
My car is making a sound that reminds me of driving an old truck. When I am on the gas above 30 mph I hear a groaning sound. Much louder when next to the divider on the freeway. When I push the clutch in it basically stops. Not a lot of variation, except it seems to get louder as a load increases on the drive train.
Previous experience tells me its the input shaft bearing on the 5 speed trans, or maybe the worse pilot bearing/bushing ever...... but being unfamiliar with these 5 speeds I thought I would ask if anyone had any input ?

Sometimes stick shift is very hard to move (comes and goes)

looked under car for bad u-joints / slop in drive line etc. / checked gear oil / one front wheel bearing is a little loose. I also recently learned that I have a LSD rear end.

Any thoughts would be helpful before I pull the trans

Thanks!

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Does it also do it in fourth gear? If it makes noise in all gears except fourth it's the secondary shaft bearing. If it makes it all the time keep looking. :cool:. That's all I can contribute.

Dan

bossrobot

Site Donor
Reaction score
Following suggestions from this site (diff threads) I grabbed some 85/90wt gear oil and some GM posi additive that I had, and put that in the diff.

What a difference ! The sound is all but gone now!

I have no idea what was in there before, it looked ok and clean, but the LSD did not like it, and was howling & growling like a 61 chevy pick up my brother let me drive when I was a kid !

This forum is a life saver !