My cs coupe history information

verde2002

Site Donor
Reaction score
Is the only way to get the production date and delivery date and ect. to fork over $90 to BMW Mobile Tradition? I am curious when my car was imported, to what dealership, date it was first sold, day of production..... The vin number on my car is 2270604 if anyone can help

chicane

Reaction score
Juast sent Andreas the e-mail. Can't wait to get the response.

I don't think he will tell you what dealership it was sent to. More than likely he will tell you what port it left from in Europe.

chicane

Reaction score
He will tell you
Build date
Delivery date
where delivered...by country unless USA and then it was Hoffman Motors in NY
original exterior color
I have used this email address with good luck
[email protected]

Please register your coupe when you get the information

www.e9-driven.com

I think that's about right. Mine is a CSi so he gave me that info and found out it was delivered to Italy. If you contact the DOT (for a Euro car) you can also find out where and when it came from the Europe to the States.

jranmann

Banned
Reaction score
I can authoritatively add that Andreas will also give you the dealership the car went to IF that info. is in the archives...In this case below it was sold out of Max Hoffmans own distributorship later so it's there...but essentially all the cars went through his importing business at the time and records don't exist as to where they were forwarded onto in many cases as that info. did not get back to BMW...

Hoffman was the exclusive importer for the e9's...IIRC, BMW sent cars back to Karmann prior to export for finishing and if you look at the record below, it was but a week (8 days) before it got to NYC...So my assumption is that the finishing (at Karmann's factory) is the date of Manufacture and this car just happened to 'catch' the boat over...ie: at the very end of that order's total number of units...

Likely it was a special ordered car for one reason or another and perhaps someone can comment further on that point if they are able?

Herr Ran (meister!)

Thank you for your reply....you have such a talent for making me laugh!

Here's the data for VIN 2240479:

It was manufactured on November 14th, 1972 and delivered on November 22nd, 1972 to Hoffman Motors in New York City. The original color was Agave, paint code 071.

We hope this is helpful for you.

Yours sincerely,

Andreas Harz

-----------------------------------------
Available at BMW Group Classic
Phone: +49 89 382 68281
Fax: +49 89 382 24765
mailto: [email protected]
URL: http://www.bmw-grouparchives.com

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: James Phipps [mailto:[email protected]]
Gesendet: Freitag, 13. November 2009 16:37
An: Harz Andreas, ([email protected])
Betreff: Re: AW: AW: AW: Another e9 Coupe ID??

chicane

Reaction score
I wonder does the Hoffman family provide an archive of Hoffman Motors info to provide further history of our vehicles?

jranmann

Banned
Reaction score
I wonder does the Hoffman family provide an archive of Hoffman Motors info to provide further history of our vehicles?
That's a very good question... and the story behind how Hoffman's hard-fought bmw (and other brands included in his) automotive empire which IIRC was transformed into BMW NA...likely if one could closely determine the date of legal conversion from NY and NJ Corporate records, and find same those filed documents might specify if BMW NA actually took those records with the rest of the entity, as part of the Incorporation itself.

Also, it may be that copies of the original window stickers, interal invoices and POE due bills, etc could have been retained. Why don't you pursue that avenue using (via email) Andreas Harz above as a starting point for you to see if old Max even had a family trust to preserve his documents, so long after his empire collapsed into what rose from the ashes to become BMW NA here in the US and how today that entity relates to BMW's efforts in the many other countries the vehicles are still being sold.

Cheers!

Ran

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Delivery Date

I still believe the delivery date is the FOB date at the port in Germany at which time Hoffman would have the title. BMWs were delivered to West Coast ports, not just NY which Murray can confirm, but they all say Hoffman Motors NY if delivered to the US. My coupe didn't arrive in 11 days from Germany and they didn't truck them across the country.

m_thompson

Reaction score
I got a nice printed document from them before they started charging for it. Unfortunately their records show that my CS was originaly painted Malaga. It is now Nachtbalu and I can find no evidence that it was every any other color.

verde2002

Site Donor
Reaction score
I got my answer

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your email.

The BMW 2800 CS US VIN 2270604 was manufactured on March 8th, 1971 and
delivered on April 2nd, 1971 to the BMW importer Hoffman Motors Corp. in New
York City. The original colour was Polaris metallic, paint code 060.

We hope this information is helpful for you.

Yours sincerely,

Andreas Harz

jranmann

Banned
Reaction score
See how that works Verde?...Andreas is a great point of contact for all of us. Care must be taken to respect his position and his available resources as you might notice his standard response differs slightly (Hoffman's DBA) due to the archived files but we don't want to overload him or his office staff with repeated requests for additional or duplicate information.

My sense is that Andreas has forgotten more that any of us actualy know about the BMW Archives...including Murray btw and his acumen on the subject of VIN informaton seems to be unqualifiably accurate and very responsive in recent months which is a result of BMW's rekindled interest in supporting what we have known all along (Response time was very slow a year ago and it used to take a month, or more) Something is going right and I think it's mostly Andreas' doing. btw 2 years ago I completed a VIN table for the worldwide distribution of the Land Rover Series 2 (for the main S2 Club in UK) and that vehicle stopped production in 1967 so I do have some experience although YES, I live in the US and no longer own my S2 but believe me BMW/Andreas/Stan are all great assets to us here that were not available to me for the S2 project...and they should be respected (and respectful)

On the subject of reporting VIN numbers I need to stop dropping hints and speak direct with Stan here for a moment (there are reports I am getting about pressure to reveal VIN information) more quickly that the owners would prefer hopefully Dan can contribute some feedback? re: Stan here is doing a band up job reminding us all about his contribution, but if performed with a bit too much vigor and lack of courtesy it might work against us in the long run...will put it this way...Stan, some folks will never tell you they are too busy to go get the VIN at the moment when they clearly are and IMO we should respect the hunter/gathererprocess a bit more IMHO as it relates to person's that are not so active here on these pages. As much as the registry needs data and filling up it's pages as said elsewhere the 'Quality' of that information should override immediate need for the new VIN listings...

Like a dog on a bone (an aproach that often yield's good result, I use it myself) if Stan begins hounding Andreas at BMW for VIN information from the sixties (as reports indicate then he has/ is repeatedly doing from other members here) I think he might be in for a shock!

Ran

Last edited:

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Ran,

I appreciate Stan's reminder to register our coupes and to obtain build data. No one will be overwhelming Andreas. I will be starting a thread on US coupes shortly.