My DMV story - for all us CA residents

AndyP

Reaction score
Well - after driving with expired MI plates for the last few years I finally made my trip to the DMV. And what a breeze it was. Paid $74 to get my car registered - no smog required. Only thing I had to do is a vehicle inspection since the car came from out of state. All they do is check for correct odometer reading and if the VIN matches the title. For some reason I thought they'll send me back home since I am all Euro spec. Long story short - the coupe came with my parents from Germany to FL back in 1996, then moved to MI, and is now in my garage. Now that I am legal - I think it's time for vanity plates: BMRIFIC. Just kidding.

I know there has been lots of discussion on the stupidity of "vanity" plates...and I have never indulged myself. However, even through the E9 is a strong statement by itself, I keep thinking about trying to get CREAM'N for mine. :D

I was thinking more like a Bavaria Cream'n donut (per the early E9 ADs).

... my car is from CA so California Cream'n works too.

California DMV

Yea, for all our complaining about the DMV, they do have their good points. And, they have gotten better over the years. The key to dealing with them is to try to do everything over the Internet, and when you can't avoid going into one of their offices, to make an appointment beforehand.

California registration is simpilfied for pre-1976 (or is it 1975) cars, since no smog check is required. Don't get me wrong, I like clean air - but smogging the small number of collector cars, which are typically driven only a few miles a year, seems pretty silly to me.

One nice feature of the Calif. DMV is that they do allow older cars to run older plates. The rules are too complex to outline here, but particularly for cars that have been licensed here since day #1, it is easy to run black plates or blue plates. For a car originally sold in Europe, and last registered in Michigan, vanity plates may be the only alternative to a bland 7 digit glow-in-the-dark plate.

DMV early ones and special plates

JHJ mentioned B'VARIAN CRM'G as in donut as a desirable personal plate

FYI my 1973 E-3 (Bavaria) wears the personal plate BVCREME here in SoCal--it's Sierra Biege in color--so methinks the plate is descriptive of this pristine 70K original mile car in exceptional original condition* (and a great driver too) throughout including 90% of its paint--*albeit with some desirable cooling system, braking, engine and transmission enhancement. There seem to be very few E-3's surviving today that are other than ragtag in appearance and condition--so many have been flogged by several owners all the way to the crusher.

BTW--the BVCREME is looking for a good new home where he will be given the care one in this condition deserves. Few Coupe owners have ever driven one of these early "big sedans" and newer car owners are often surprised when overtaken by these great early sedans--same drive- train as the Coupe--many of our younger Coupe owners need one of these as their family car--if only to extend the pure early driving pleasure for 4 or 5 people.

hit me off line if interested in knowing more about the BVCREME and seeing recent pics of this autobahn burner.

I had a Bav many years (20+) ago and have to say it was a real sleeper. Completely stock so kinda unquick off the line, but at higher speeds...well, at the time I lived in the foothills and the road to our house was twisty and usually not crowded. Had a '66 Shelby Hertz car concurrently with the Bav and as the speeds approached triple digits, the Shelby became a bit of a handfull whereas the Bav seemed to hunker down and just get down with the program. A true Sports Sedan before the term sports sedan was even a gleam in some marketing guy's or gal's eye.

My old license plate was "SHIBUMI" (effortless grace) I just got an antique license plate and I can only use a combination of 6 letters and digits so I went with "1973 CS" :roll:

My CS's Environmental Tahoe CA plate is "74BMWCS"

I had to laugh when I read coupe74's post as the number 1 question I am asked about my coupe is what year it is too!

:)

Cheers,
Ed

I am trying to get my old plate reassigned to my coupe

DABOLLX

I did see a old dodge swinger owned by another ex pat with

UKHUNT

took me a few goes to work that one out
PJ

Back