My european experience

decoupe

(deceased)
Reaction score
At the rip old age of 62, I finally succumbed to family pressures and went to Europe (Switzerland, France and Italy) for hiking and general tourist gawking. Other than overdosing on cheese, olive oil and beer for three weeks I survived without any major international repercussions.

There was a disappointing number of classic cars to be seen - a Jag XK120 - 150 on the highway to Lucca and several Fiats of different vintages. What really blew me away was the Italian AutoStrade itself for shear size, engineering scope and it's ability to eat up the miles. The tunnels (12km by 4 lanes under Mont Blanc alone) I lost track of and the bridges dwarf anything I've seen in NAm.

Canada is a very large country of relatively few people and not many roads. The roads we do have are constantly going through freeze thaw cycles that render them brutal within 5 years of their most recent repaving that keeps the sustained 130+ kmh speeds of the Autostrade physically punishing in an old car like mine unpleasent.

So, while the churches and quaint hilltop towns like Cortona and the walled city of Lucca will be remembered for their charm and fine food, it is the Autostarde and the transportation infrastructure that really blew me away. And, any of the gas bars on the A11 will do a better cappuccino than any Starbucky ever does - the perfect road trip.

Does that mean I'm a motorhead or just a cultural neanderthal.

Decoupe, as always.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Best day I ever had driving was when piloting a Suzuki GT380 through the Swiss Alps as a 20 year old. I have never been on a road you could almost drive by feel like that. Perfect banking everywhere. I have to go back one day on a Motorcycle. Sounds like a great time. I'd love that diet.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I would venture that more than a place Europe is a frame of mind, sometimes best experienced in other places like Buenos Aires.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
It's 1993 and we are cruising the Autostrade in brand new Ford Mondeo, five-speed. Family of four, shooting through the tunnels at 90 MPH. Briefly in the left lane when the flashing headlights are closing fast. Whip over as a BMW with a Jag sedan on its tail go by at the speed of light, disappear into a tunnel never to be seen again. Love that Road.

NewSixCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
My wife and I are always amazed at the superior quality of coffee found in ANY gas station in Europe—Italy, France, Germany. I love stopping at AutoGrills when we drive from Milan to Venice and then on to Croatia. I'm ashamed to admit it, but I lick the cup. Just a whiff of Starbucks coffee makes me queasy...

Lorenzo

Site Donor
Reaction score
....and I'm quite sure that coffee and cappuccino you find at autogrill stations are nothing exceptional compared to very good ones You can have here in the best bars and pasticcerie. And, yes, Starbucks is completely a different product.
If anyone is looking for a trip to Emilia Romagna or Toscana I'll be very happy to help with some suggestion.;)

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
well you know things happen

i agree that coffee at autogrill is not the best one in town, but yes, italy is a country that in almost every place you will find excellent cofee

it is amazing how italian style coffee has extended over europe, i might say, but have no real proof of it that 20 years ago italian style coffee, even though i assume it was originally developed in italy, was similar to the coffee that was possible to find in spain, but never in france, england or germany

but today you can drink expresso in all those countries

another funny thing, those countries have defined an odd choice, something that i had never heard before, the "double shot", it seems like they have just arrived to it and they want to recover the time lost:grin:

NewSixCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
Its all relative; maybe Autogrill is just OK in Europe, but here in the US its superior to 99% of coffee. I've only found a handful of places in and around NYC that can match the coffee in Europe...

m_thompson

Reaction score
I went to the Frankfurt car show a few weeks ago. The turkis 3.0CS that has been on display other years was not there this time. The new i8 electric BMW is spectacular, but a little out of my budget.

I agree with the coffee comments. It took a a few days to get used to normal coffee when I got home.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Such a positive thread, I keep trying to inject some bile and nobody bites.
I will keep trying.

Be suspicious of any culture that develops exquisite coffee over the years, life may be so boring there they needed coffee to stay awake. The theory is reinforced by public servants drinking tea. Coffee would wake them up.

Turkis was not removed, it rusted in place. The night shift janitor vacuumed it away.

NewSixCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
Think I'd rather watch time pass drinking exceptional coffee (some cultures have elevated this to a metaphysical state) than run myself ragged while drinking bad coffee...

Lorenzo

Site Donor
Reaction score
I was in Lucca for the last 10 days - call you next time.

Yes, do it. I have a house in Forte die Marmi, let's meet!

About the italian coffee experience: You can taste excellent coffee and cappuccino almost anywhere today. I had a very good one at the Illy cafè near Grand Central Station in N.Y. this summer. The fact is that in the USA a cappuccino is so silly expensive: 3/4 times more than in Italy.