My latest project (Not a BMW...not even a car!)

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
1966 Honda CL77 Scrambler. In 1966, all the cool kids had one :cool:. Later in life I had a 1980 CB750K but always lusted after that Scrambler. I needed a winter project and was out of room to tear down a whole car, so I bought a project Scrambler. Just about finished now....

IMG_8991 copy.JPG

More here ...

Taking one apart was all new for me. A good thing because learning is part of the fun of the hobby. For these bikes there is a good network of used and some new parts, forums and knowledge.

Honda was starting to "own" the motorcycle biz along with a few other Japanese makers by 1966. Amazing to me that for this bike they got 28 dependable HP out of 18 cubic inches. It would run 15 second quarter miles...about the same as an E3 or E9 I would guess.

I have a friend who splits his time between Seattle and Sequim. He has a twin of the Fjord 2002 I had. Mine was a 73. His is a 74. That's how I got to know him (via the 2002 group here).
He inherited a similar bike to this one - his uncle bought it new and disassembled it to do 'something' with it back in the day and... then unfortunately passed away right thereafter. Bike had 16 miles. Sat in that state in the basement for 40 years when my friend got it. He has put it together now and rides it around Seattle. Neat little bike. Just about brand new (at least from the miles standpoint) - the storage conditions were not the best, so - there are some issues he had with components, but not bad at all - given the age.

Back