My Maiden Voyage....

shanon

Reaction score
and I ALMOST made it home..........

After a fevered weekend of buttonin' up (getting all the lights to work & be legal, had some Plexi to install, plus discovering some PO had the disty in 180 degrees backwards...argh!) and a year and a half of work on my 2800cs project (dual purpose car w/ a complete re-wire), I got to enjoy a blissful voyage from Monterey to San francisco (about 100 miles), watching the sunset, and the fog come over the hills, coming up via HWY 280....very fine day indeed!!

........until I hit FOG like I hadn't scene in a LONG TIME on HWY 35 above Pacifica. We ran out of time and could not hook up the wipers (have new switch in hand), so I was reduced to a crawl along with everyone else up there, driving blind, all cruising about 15-20mph on 50mph Skyline HWY 35...a bit stressful, as the CS was starting to act up a bit, not having been driven 100 miles+ in years.

So as I crawled along looking for the Headless Horsemen to come outta nowhere, my sweetly aligned, complete new track suspension suddenly darted to the right and jumped me into the slow lane. Thankfully I was traveling slower than those w/ wipers and didn't bump anyone. Spooked and w/ steering wacked, I was suddenly thankful for the fog and that it didn't happen 20 minutes sooner doing 80 on 280........... Thankfully I was able to nurse my grey primered car (ultimate fog camo) out of the left lane (sitting duck in the fog!) and into a mall's parking lot where it is now. After being 'rescued by the wife and retrieving some tools from home and returning to my beached baby, my sudden dart in movement was caused by a snapped right front axel/spindel caused by a new bearring gone bad and it decided to SEIZE with no noise or warning of going out and snapped my spindel!!! My wheel was held on by the caliper. (BTW: yes I adjusted the castle nut snug and then backed it off...wheel spun well after new bearring install)

Here's where I need some help, I need to source a right front axle spindle (don't need a whole strut) ASAP!! Any leads greatly appreciated so I can get my baby home or to a shop with a sourced part greatly appreciated. Its less than ten miles away (so frustrating my friends), if it wasn't foggy, I could probably see my house from where it is...............

Hey TJ, sounds like your drive ended better than mine..... :wink:

tired.....gotta pass out now........

-shanon
'70 2800cs (BTW: it sounds fantastic!!)

she's home.......

...and my buggy is safe now thanks to a superior tow-truck driver who threaded the drive/garage needle and dropped her on awaiting jackstands. After coming out of last nite's drama haze, I realized/forgotten that the spindle is part of the coil-overs (duh!) as I looked at my forgotten stock struts under the bench.

well the CS felt awsome for 90 miles, needs some tweaks of course, but we're on the home stretch....my supplier was astonished at my story and said he'd turn them around real quick........

will keep ya posted on the maiden voyage 're-dux'......

-shanon

Oof..............scary.................how do you separate the spindle from the strut? I don't think it's possible is it? I can't remember how that all goes together. Is it bolted to the strut with the three big arsed bolts?

Your right, they can't.
My brain was toast when I first contemplated the 'repair' and posted the yarn. I'll will be shipping both units back for rebuild/inspection. He said they'll start fab'n a new lower 'piece' ASAP for me, so, I think they weld a lower spindle section to a custom strut shaft...?!?!

-shanon

Back