My next project - WARNING not a BMW

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Everybody enjoys the old car hobby differently. Some have one collector car for life. Others stick with one make and model. Still others like more variety. Some do all the work on their cars themselves. Others write checks. Some drive their old cars a lot (maybe even in competition events). Others trailer theirs to a few shows a year. Some would only consider a nut and bolt restoration. Others like to personalize theirs. Each of these ways of enjoying the hobby (and many others) are valid.

I have mentioned this before here...for me the PROJECT is the hobby. I enjoy finding the right one, networking for parts and advice, building them (stock or modified) doing most of the work myself, then moving them along to the next owner in order to free up shop space and to help finance the next one.

My Bavaria is essentially done.

IMG_4911.JPG

It is one of the cars I have lusted after since they were new in the early 70s. I have thoroughly enjoyed the process of building mine. This members of this forum have been essential to accomplish that.

I've started lusting after another project. For me, it had to be something different. I generally let the projects find me. This latest one did. A 1968 Volvo 122S Amazon wagon popped up in Southern California. They are homely and slow. I've always loved them. As a bonus, I have been looking for an adventure. This Volvo included one.

I talked my buddy John into accompanying me to get the car and bring it home. We flew from Bellingham to Oakland. Then BART to North San Jose. My son picked us up there and we spent the night at his place in Scotts Valley. The next day we took Amtrak to San Luis Obispo where my daughter picked us up. We spent the night at her place in Cambria then borrowed her van and headed south. We stopped at a friend's in Camarillo then met up with the Volvo in Ventura. Back the 150 miles to my daughter's, then on to my son's the next day (170 miles). We had bought return air tickets in case the car was running well, but it was "good enough" so we forfeited the tickets.

The next day we headed north. A quick stop at a buddy's in Fremont, then 11 hours to Grant's Pass, Oregon. The little 4 cylinder, 4:56 rear end, and no OD made for a pretty slow trip. Another 11 hours the next day and we had covered the 1,000 miles from the Bay Area to Bellingham.

A rest stop somewhere in central Oregon. John's turn to drive...

IMG_7527.jpg

The little car proved itself, but we found out first hand it needs a lot of love. That's OK. What good is a project if nothing is needed?

Screen Shot 2022-03-21 at 5.51.56 PM.png

Last edited:
Very fun, I have a soft spot for the 245 wagons I've owned, and this obviously is the dna of that. You're not selling your e3 I hope?

Nice acquisition Dick! Wagons are so practical, especially for that Costco run. ;) Nice version of a "selfie". That shadow still looks like Bernie Sanders.:cool:
Mike,
Sorry my next project didn't turn out to be the obscure Britt you have been lobbying for. I've already done a Daimler V8 250 so I HAD to go a different direction. I still have the V8 MGB and I'm all registered for the ABFM at Van Dusen the end of May. We'll convoy!

Mike,
Sorry my next project didn't turn out to be the obscure Britt you have been lobbying for. I've already done a Daimler V8 250 so I HAD to go a different direction. I still have the V8 MGB and I'm all registered for the ABFM at Van Dusen the end of May. We'll convoy!
YES! Looking forward to that. I should tell you though, I did find a very low mileage Vauxhall Velox that should be saved. Canadian Dollars. Let me know! ;)

Great choice Dick. I learned to drive stick in a 68 1800, put both my kids in Volvo 240s as there first cars, and recently purchase a 2005 XC70 Cross Country wagon. I’ve always had a soft spot for Amazons.
The ad below doesn’t feature a wagon but wait for the tag line at the end.

True that. My journey will lap the globe several times before I get to the end. ;) Still enjoying it, though. Plus, I get the benefit of seeing guys like Dick complete projects. That is enlightening.

So...it's been a couple of months since I arrived home with the Amazon. An update is due (maybe an epilog?).

I learned a lot about the car on the 1,300 mile drive home...most were not good things. The transmission was noisy, the clutch was weak as were the brakes, it had a horrendous off idle flat spot, the driver's seat was broken down, the interior was filthy. There were about 15 other things on "the list", but it got us home.

I focused first on the mechanical issues. A good used transmission from Rainbow Larry's Volvo Junk Yard, a Sachs clutch kit while I was in there, a rebuild of the carb, overhaul of the brake system. Then on to cosmetics. The interior cleaned up nicely. New front door panels and a carpet kit and a fix of the sagging driver's seat was all it took.

I discovered the paint and interior were mostly original. The car had lived a semi charmed life. The spare had never been on the ground (probably still full of Gothenburg air I'm sure). The load floor carpeting was original and in nice condition. The paint on the floor under the carpet was like new.

The body needs help, however. It's a good 20 footer as is and I'm still deciding it I want to take on another complete paint job.

52108578069_dc3f203903_c.jpg

52108576644_2f1e56499d_c.jpg

I love your varied car choices for your projects. So many cars to enjoy!

The first time I was up close and personal with a Volvo wagon (a 240 I believe) it gave me the impression of being the biggest car in the world. This was at the "foreign car" dealership while my father was taking possession of his new Fiat 128 wagon. Of course it wasn't anywhere near the biggest car I'd ever seen or even been in - the roads were still full of gigantic Vistacruisers and other full size American wagons. I think it must have been the proportions, the famous boxiness. It looked so tall at the tailgate compared to the giant rectangular openings found on American wagons that it gave me the impression of being much larger than it really was.

Love Volvo wagons, in particular this 70s shooting brake style 1800. View attachment 138187
I love wagons! I miss my e34 and both of my e39 sport wagons. I’m especially stick on all things bmw and touring. I’ve dreamt of grafting the rear of the Volvo 1800 es on to my coupe project. Fairly seriously. To the point that I was looking for a mess of a donor car to do this with. If any body knows of one with good side glass, food and rear hatch let me know. I’m dying to cut this e9 up and replace the completely rusty rear window frame with a shooting brake!

Much luck with your new project. It already seems like a solid, and very cool car. Never would I have pictured a wagon cool about 20 years ago. Now it’s what I’d rather have.

Back