My restoration pics uploaded...

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score
Super looking restoration Tom. In addition to the great interior trunk resto work, how much more of the coupe's restoration are you doing yourself?

Bert
72 3.5 CSi
88 M6

Tom P

Reaction score
Thanks guys...

Bert, I've done it all myself excluding bodywork and paint. I'll sub out the upholstery, instrument panel and AC plus plan on a pro tuning and detail once done.

Tony, based on this board's advise I went with SEM Storm Grey and Warm Grey for the toolbox, trunk caddy and the front most vertical panel (behind rear seats). New skin for all other panels.

I owe a lot to all of you on this board for great ideas, tips and techniques.

David

Site Donor
Reaction score
Looks great Tom. Are those refurbished sun visors your original units, or did you buy them and then recondition them ? I'm trying to find a pair myself.

-David

Tom P

Reaction score
Hi David,

Those visors are the original ones and I just cleaned them up with some mild soap and water.

I will need a couple new plastic clips since they just crumbled on me when I removed them from the headliner.

PaulinPa

Reaction score
Excellent work!Couple questions,what is the material you used for toolbox repair and where did you get it?Same for trunk panels?Also,how did you re-attach tailight lenses to frames?You are an inspiration.

Tom P

Reaction score
Thanks Paul, here you go...

TOOL TRAY FIX:
I used a 2-part polyester filler by Evercoat (#100417) to float the holes and fill the cracks. I originally bought it at my local paint and autobody supply store. Technically its a finishing glaze for blending, filling scratches, fixing door dings, etc. I probably should have used a heavier filler but its all I had on hand. Seems to be holding up just fine so far.

I used thin strips of aluminum for backing that I cut and trimmed to fit before epoxy'ng them to to backside of tool tray. FYI, the Evercoat filler is meant to bond to aluminum. I'm sure thin, rigid pieces of plastic epoxy'd to the backside of tray could be used along with a plastic purpose filler just the same way. Once the backing was in place, I pooled in the filler, let it set, then sanded, primed and painted to finish.

BASE TRUNK PANELS:
I used new elephant skin purchased from Veteran a while ago on top of 1/4" "finish" grade plywood (for a smooth topside feel). I couldn't find a true 1/4" ply to match original, so to firm up the panels and to add a 1/32" or so, I used metal tape in criss-cross pattern on the underside. This worked very well - better than I expected.

ALL OTHER PANELS:
I used 1/8" masonite like product and wrapped it with the same skin.

TAIL LIGHT SWAP:
I used a 2-part heavy duty epoxy to re-attach the plastic lenses to the frames.

Happy to provide more details by e-mail if needed.

matphill

Reaction score
Hi Tom,

Where did you say you purchased the elephant shin? What or who is Veteran?

I've been looking for some for a while.

Matt.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I believe Veteran's supply was all bought out by a restorer back East. They are at www.veteranco.com in West Los Angeles. Someone on this board said they have some or at least a source. This vinyl has a cotton backing to it.

Bill Riblett

(deceased)
Reaction score
I got the wheel well covers from Maximillian last fall. At that time, there were quite a few available. I understand that they can get the "elephant skin" too.