My sons daily driver

tmason

Reaction score
I am looking at purchasing a 71 Toyota Landcruiser FJ55 for my sons 1st car to show with a little labor you can have a classic.Has any one in this Forum owned one? Thanks for any info in advance.Tim

x_atlas0

Reaction score
Some parts are hard to come by, and the gas mileage is not exactly goo, to say nothing of the safety concerns. Given how an absurdedly large percentage of young drivers have wrecks within the forst 2 years, something a bit more common might not be a better place to start. I am very grateful my dad had the foresight to let me use something crunchable, lacking in power, and yet still fun for my first car. (a 4cyl, stick, Jeep Wrangler soft top. I could run to 30 faster than this thing could go.)

If you want something more on the classic side, how about an older Volvo? They are built like tanks, they are safe, they can be made very fast, and parts are cheap.

tmason

Reaction score
Thanks for your input.I thought about a classic because you can drive it and if you do take care of it,the car could be worth more than you paid for it.But I know what you mean about the replacement parts.One of these older Landcruiser was purchased by Alan Jackson for $82,500.

Sooner

Site Donor $
Reaction score
FJ 40

I actually had one for my son many years ago as he started driving. Heavy, and safe, but typically need alot of TLC. Son, now 33, just restored one, old memories. A good vehicle for a student in Reno, IMO.

pamp

Reaction score
Kid Car

Indeed,
I believe the vehicle of choice would be say... a '84 245 Volvo wagon. Built like tank for sure. Try to find one with a trailer hitch. A yute can cram all their stuff in said vehicle and can rent a U-haul to hitch up. Unless you plan on having your progeny hanging around for life. I would suggest making home life as uncomfortable as possible after said vehicle purchase. Freedom! They cannot fly if they stay in the nest! Tough love as it were.

shemphill

Reaction score
Pick him up an E30. They can be had for cheap, are solid, easy to work on, and last forever. An '88 iX was my first car and I've never had any major issues with it, and it has north of 200k miles on it.

Steve